Quote Originally Posted by coxfan View Post
I understand the desire to correct these errors. But in my opinion the less troubling authentication errors are those where the authenticator may be less familiar than the experienced fan with official scorer's terminology. I have seen errors by authenticators with the Rangers and Braves of this type: EG calling reaching on a fielder's choice a single; calling a pitch to the screen a wild pitch when nobody advanced; or a foul to the dugout a foul tip when it didn't come near the catcher.

Those kinds of errors, at least, can be resolved by checking the play-by-play, so you know what occurred. More troubling are the occasional errors that don't match the play-by-play, such as the wrong inning,etc. My surveys of certain games suggest to me that those more problematic errors occur about 1-2 percent of the time. Another kind of problematic error are those that are poorly described: eg no reference to innings used for bases, etc. Sometimes one can guess the correct innings by going through the full sequence of authentication numbers for that game; but sometimes that doesn't work. And incomplete ascriptions are not probably not correctible by MLB authentication.
MLB said they created this program to ensure the fans and collectors are getting guaranteed memorabilia and satisfaction. With the number of emails and requests they get to correct their errors, I would think they would tighten up a little. However, they do make corrections, so that is a good thing.