Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

BEWARE FAKE: Game Worn Philip Rivers Jersey being offered to GUU Members!

Hey guys,
    I had someone contact me thru GUU offering me a Game Worn Phillip Rivers Jersey. This Jersey is a supposed 2009 Chargers @ Eagles from JO Sports. He said he had got this from a friend that bought it from JO Sports in 2010. This and a few other high end Jerseys were pulled from a HERITAGE Auction from same consignor last year. Some of those that were pulled were duplicates of Jerseys already owned by other collectors. He sent me images which all were way off. First the sleeves are elastic. Rivers never wears elastic sleeves. The size was too big and the Jersey was the wrong length. So this means the Jersey is a fake and the JO Sports stickers affixed to the Jersey were also faked most likely by JO Sports before going out of business. So keep a look out. This will most likely re-appear with the proper sleeves and a proper size tag on eBay. Just trying to save someone from getting scammed here. Here's images of the Jersey in question and some Getty Images Chargers vs. Eagles in 2009. CHECK THE SLEEVES...IT'S ALL YOU NEED TO SEE!

Re: BEWARE FAKE: Game Worn Philip Rivers Jersey being offered to GUU Members!

Looks like the faker cut himself while "preparing" this jersey.

That Heritage Auction also had Gates and Tomlinson jerseys said to be from the Chargers-Eagles game of 2009. They also had JO Sports/Chargers LOA's. Conveniently for the consignor, both had been washed thereby erasing any game wear. I have both of those unwashed jerseys from that Chargers-Eagles game in my collection and they have photo-matched game wear. It was after sending photographic proof to Heritage that they pulled all of the Chargers jerseys by that consignor. The Rivers jersey above was one of those jerseys, although it looks like the seller added some "color" to it this time around.

I'm sorry to learn that those jerseys are resurfacing elsewhere.

what are the thoughts on the LT in Heritage's auction now?
    Ryan

NFL game used collector

I didn't think the Tomlinson jersey in Heritage was legit the first time they auctioned it. The game wear on the jersey doesn't match the wear of the jersey from that KC game. My recollection is that Eric also couldn't match it to any photos, but I'll let him reply for himself. I don't have confidence that the jersey was used in the game vs. Kansas City.

Let me just throw this out there. Some players wear 2 jersey's per game. I'm not familiar with the Chargers, but is it possible?

Regardless, thanks to JO for staining this hobby further.

Good luck with the sale of your crappy stuff currently on ebay

In my experience the Chargers are known to be VERY cheap--some jerseys have been used for consecutive seasons, let alone an entire season. All of the jerseys I own were worn start to finish in the games they were worn.

I had my doubts about the LT that was sold just a few months back and now is up for sale again. I couldn't find any photos to match it to on Getty/AP/USA Today/Chargers.com

That being said--I didn't fully research it since I would not be buying it.

Seems like the team or the NFL would have kept that significant of a jersey. It set the record for one of the most kept track of stats.

I only buy what I photo match first, so I shouldn't be tricked by the J.O. resurgence...I hope.

There was one guy around here who attacked me for suggesting this would happen when JO was busted. Of course he was sitting on items from JO himself so he needed to dump them before word got out and didnt like people knew JO was crooked.

Let's be clear though.

Not everything JO Sports sold is bad.

People who know me know I pull no punches when it comes to fraud in this hobby. I do not support fraudulent items or sellers. To be fair though you can't assume it's all bad.

I own a couple pieces from JO by the way. They can easily be photomatched so I personally have no concerns. My suggestion on JO would be if it can't be matched and it's a high dollar item....you pass.