Michael:

Here are some more examples of there being no absolutes with Starter era Pats jerseys:

1) My blue Byars divisional playoff and AFC Championship jersey, in addition to not having a Custom Crafted stamp, has no tag and no evidence of one ever having been there. It has Starter logos on the sleeves, but no tag inside or out. It may not even be a Starter jersey for all I know, it may just have the Starter logos.

2) I also own Byars' white 1996-97 Super Bowl jersey he wore 2 weeks later. It also has no Custom Crafted Stamp. It does have a tag, but it is what you have documented as a 1995 tag. My 1996 Terry Glenn regular season jersey has a Custom Crafted stamp and a tag that matches what you documented as a 1996 tag. I also own Byars and Glenn 1997 jerseys that both have Custom Crafted stamps and what you documented as 1997 tags.

It looks to me like when the Pats made the 1996 playoffs they decided to quickly put together new home and away jerseys made out of leftovers.

This also ties into your comment about the location of the Starter sleeve logos. Through the 1996-97 AFC Championship game the logos were below the sleeve numbers (here's Byars in the AFC Championship game):

...except for linemen who had the sleeves customized to tuck under the shoulder pads, in which case the logos were next to the numbers:

For the Super Bowl the logos were moved above the numbers:

And I literally mean moved. You can clearly see remants on my Byars Super Bowl jersey where the logos were before they moved them up. The following season the logos remained above the numbers.