Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Won an auction - now I need your opinions

Quote Originally Posted by jbean023 View Post
    I wasn't comparing jerseys, I was comparing people wearing and washing jerseys. No that does not mean that the jerseys have no value, it means you altered the jersey from its original state and should of mentioned that. If you bought the jersey washed then so be it. If you altered the jersey you should of mentioned that in the eBay auction. If you were buying a game used fielding glove and I used it for a summer, is it the same value? Not even close, but it's the same glove. Still has value just not the same value. Wouldn't you want to know that I used it(altered it's original state). If you had a brand new item and got dirt on it by dropping it, wouldn't you mention that in an auction? You can compare it to any situation, describe the item to the best of your ability. You might get 10-20 collectors on here that say they wouldn't mind but the majority would want to know that the jersey is washed.
    This. Jbean023 said it way better than I did. I am not saying that I am right, I am just saying that this is what I wanted to say and this is how I feel.

Would you have paid more with more dirt? You bid with the amount of dirt you saw on it. And you were happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
    Would you have paid more with more dirt? You bid with the amount of dirt you saw on it. And you were happy.
    You are not asking the right question here. I will ask the right question and answer it for you as well. Would I have bid on it had I known it has been washed (and for sake of accuracy, I will say that this was a Buy it now/best offer listing, not an auction)? The answer to that question is no.

Here's another question and answer: Would I have made an offer on the jersey had I known that it would be impossible to photomatch it because the second owner of the jersey washed the jersey after receiving it and didn't disclose that information on his auction when he listed it for sale? The answer is, again, no.

I understand. And feel that the seller should have a detailed description. And I feel that there was some deception. I hope it works out for you in future bidding.

I understand. And feel that the seller should have a detailed description. And I feel that there was some deception. I hope it works out for you in future bidding.

Thank you, Stanley. I appreciate that. i don't think the seller intended to deceive me, but I do wish he had included all the pertinent information in his listing. I hope he adds in the fact that he washed the jersey when he relists it for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by jbean023 View Post
    I wasn't comparing jerseys, I was comparing people wearing and washing jerseys. No that does not mean that the jerseys have no value, it means you altered the jersey from its original state and should of mentioned that. If you bought the jersey washed then so be it. If you altered the jersey you should of mentioned that in the eBay auction. If you were buying a game used fielding glove and I used it for a summer, is it the same value? Not even close, but it's the same glove. Still has value just not the same value. Wouldn't you want to know that I used it(altered it's original state). If you had a brand new item and got dirt on it by dropping it, wouldn't you mention that in an auction? You can compare it to any situation, describe the item to the best of your ability. You might get 10-20 collectors on here that say they wouldn't mind but the majority would want to know that the jersey is washed.
    If you were to use a glove over summer, that would add second-hand usage to the item. I wouldn't put washing a jersey in same category as its common practice for a team to do so if they decide to use it in multiple games, the same reason I assume team repairs are done. And let's not forget that prior to bidding on the jersey he was fine with my description. It wasn't until he looked at the auction photos and noticed the difference and to add to that, the auction description made no mention of it being "un-washed". I let the seller know that myself, after he asked, after he already purchased the jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by aallanson View Post
    Here's another question and answer: Would I have made an offer on the jersey had I known that it would be impossible to photomatch it because the second owner of the jersey washed the jersey after receiving it and didn't disclose that information on his auction when he listed it for sale? The answer is, again, no.
    If you had done your research and asked questions, I would have let you know before-hand. Also, every listing including one of my own where if a jersey is unwashed, it would be listed as "unwashed". Never in my experience of collecting jerseys have a just assumed a jersey comes unwashed. It might be common now, but it is usually included in the listing if it is unwashed, not implied.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRBACK View Post
    If you were to use a glove over summer, that would add second-hand usage to the item. I wouldn't put washing a jersey in same category as its common practice for a team to do so if they decide to use it in multiple games, the same reason I assume team repairs are done. And let's not forget that prior to bidding on the jersey he was fine with my description. It wasn't until he looked at the auction photos and noticed the difference and to add to that, the auction description made no mention of it being "un-washed". I let the seller know that myself, after he asked, after he already purchased the jersey.
    What you let me know in your response to my inquiry was that I was "a moron," a "joke boy," and also that it "was a shame that I didn't get to bury my nose in (the player's) musk." Let's not pretend any different now that other people are reading your words. You didn't mention in your description that you washed the jersey. I asked you what happened to the marks on the jersey since you acquired it at auction. You responded that you "washed the jersey because it was absolutely putrid." Those were your responses.

Now now, lets not pretend that you did not call me a joke before I threw anything at you... But anyway, are we not discussing the actual ethics of my listing? I am putting my opinion in as its my right.