Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Won an auction - now I need your opinions

Quote Originally Posted by jbean023 View Post
    If you washed it personally than yes 100% you are obligated.
    Most collectors I know who collect older stuff (prior to the "unwashed era") just don't get too hung up on this issue. The jersey was washed by the team, so what if it gets washed again? Who cares? You and others might, and that's fine as we all have the right to set our own parameters and comfort level, but I along with a lot of other collectors just don't care.

I have jerseys in my collection that I originally obtained over 40 years ago. To be honest, I might not necessarily recall that I washed a few of them back in the 1980s or '90s. It's jsut not that important in the grand scheme of things as the jersey is what it is - once used in a game a very long time ago. Washing such a jersey that was already washed to begin with doesn't change a thing.

I collect old durene NFL jerseys and WFL jerseys (defunct league from 1974/75). These are hard to find to begin with, so I am not the least bit concerned whether the seller or anyone else has washed the jersey (or worn it) over the past half century. I have already made the assumption that it most likely has been washed or worn at some point over the years.

Speaking only for myself, if a jersey comes into my house and smells like cigarette smoke, a Lab Retriever, or cologne, I'm probably going to wash it. When you buy old stuff, most collectors I know make the assumption that the jersey might have been washed by a collector along the way, and someone has probably worn it as well. I just don't think that it is on the radar screen of most collectors.

As I stated in my previous post, if those sort of issues are a concern to anyone, then you should ask before making the purchase. Find out if Seller the has worn the jersey, washed it, etc. While it may be your concern, and I respect your opinion on the matter, it is not my concern nor the concern of most collectors I've dealt with over the past 40+ years.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange

P.S. Don't get me wrong - if you in any manner change the appearance of a jersey - washing dirt from an "unwashed jersey", washing a jersey so many times that it fades, crinkles the numbers, or cracks the numbers (screened-on numbers) etc., then you should by all means disclose that sort of thing right up front.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by G1X View Post
    Most collectors I know who collect older stuff (prior to the "unwashed era") just don't get too hung up on this issue. The jersey was washed by the team, so what if it gets washed again? Who cares? You and others might, and that's fine as we all have the right to set our own parameters and comfort level, but I along with a lot of other collectors just don't care.

I have jerseys in my collection that I originally obtained over 40 years ago. To be honest, I might not necessarily recall that I washed a few of them back in the 1980s or '90s. It's jsut not that important in the grand scheme of things as the jersey is what it is - once used in a game a very long time ago. Washing such a jersey that was already washed to begin with doesn't change a thing.

I collect old durene NFL jerseys and WFL jerseys (defunct league from 1974/75). These are hard to find to begin with, so I am not the least bit concerned whether the seller or anyone else has washed the jersey (or worn it) over the past half century. I have already made the assumption that it most likely has been washed or worn at some point over the years.

Speaking only for myself, if a jersey comes into my house and smells like cigarette smoke, a Lab Retriever, or cologne, I'm probably going to wash it. When you buy old stuff, most collectors I know make the assumption that the jersey might have been washed by a collector along the way, and someone has probably worn it as well. I just don't think that it is on the radar screen of most collectors.

As I stated in my previous post, if those sort of issues are a concern to anyone, then you should ask before making the purchase. Find out if Seller the has worn the jersey, washed it, etc. While it may be your concern, and I respect your opinion on the matter, it is not my concern nor the concern of most collectors I've dealt with over the past 40+ years.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    +1

Dave Miedema

P.S. Don't get me wrong - if you in any manner change the appearance of a jersey - washing dirt from an "unwashed jersey", washing a jersey so many times that it fades, crinkles the numbers, or cracks the numbers (screened-on numbers) etc., then you should by all means disclose that sort of thing right up front.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    That's what we are discussing here.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    Quote Originally Posted by jbean023 View Post
    That's what we are discussing here.
    I'm under the impression that Mark meant jerseys that were never washed. My understanding was the jersey in question was one used for more than a single game, and the assumption was the team washed it before the seller washed it.

I realize that might seem like semantics, but that's how I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by danesei@yahoo.com View Post
    I'm under the impression that Mark meant jerseys that were never washed. My understanding was the jersey in question was one used for more than a single game, and the assumption was the team washed it before the seller washed it.

I realize that might seem like semantics, but that's how I read it.
    In order to avoid any confusion and misinterpretation of my statements, please note that my P.S. post (post #42) went with my preceding post (post #41) keeping in mind that those posts were in response to jbean. Reading those 2 posts as one will hopefully clarify my point.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchnage