Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Can autographs be removed from bats?

No disrespect intended to those of you that like game used items signed, but I am on the other side of the fence where I don't like autographs on game used items, as they were never worn that way.
    I don't want to start the great debate again, I respect everyone's right to do what they want.
    I personally have removed autographs fairly easily from several jerseys but I am posting this thread to ask if anyone ever removed an auto from a bat?
    Is that easy to do? Impossible? I assume a light sanding in that area would take the ink off easily but I also assume it would change the appearance of that surface?
    Would ink removers that work on jerseys like Amodox work on bats?
    I'd like to pick up a Dale Murphy game used bat and there's two on ebay but both are signed so they don't work for me unless I could remove the signatures.
    Anyone ever removed autographs from bats? Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

Number9

Re: Can autographs be removed from bats?

Quote Originally Posted by Number9 View Post
    No disrespect intended to those of you that like game used items signed, but I am on the other side of the fence where I don't like autographs on game used items, as they were never worn that way.
    I don't want to start the great debate again, I respect everyone's right to do what they want.
    I personally have removed autographs fairly easily from several jerseys but I am posting this thread to ask if anyone ever removed an auto from a bat?
    Is that easy to do? Impossible? I assume a light sanding in that area would take the ink off easily but I also assume it would change the appearance of that surface?
    Would ink removers that work on jerseys like Amodox work on bats?
    I'd like to pick up a Dale Murphy game used bat and there's two on ebay but both are signed so they don't work for me unless I could remove the signatures.
    Anyone ever removed autographs from bats? Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

Number9
    Sobebody once told me toothpaste worked although I have never tried it. On bats, I mean.

Here's the story on how I made my discovery . The 1999 season , just after batting practice inside The Trop , St. Petersburg, FL (not Tampa). I am trying to complete a Devil Rays team signed game used bat that Mike DiFelice gave to me . A nicely used T-141 two toned (I believe they call it a Walker Finish) bat using gold ink . Well Larry Rothschild goes to sign my bat and the pen quit working . I told Larry to shake it a little , well he shook it more than a little and gold ink went all over his hand and uniform and some even got on the bat too. Needless to say Larry was not exactly thrilled and I didn't get his autograph that day. Hey if anybody has his 1999 Home White uniform and there's gold ink on it . It's legit !!!!
    Well, the mess on the bat only ruined one signature . So I had to remove all the ink Rothschild got on the bat . Maybe I should charge for my secret .......

Just Kidding

I used virgin olive oil and a no. 2 pencil eraser . It will take a couple of times of applying the oil and erasing then wiping up with a clean white rag/towel . I just won on ebay a Mike DiFelice bat that was signed in silver ink . It also had 2000 written between the MLB Players Logo and The Model number , players name, etc . Well I didn't like that so I removed the 2000 with no problems and left the autograph . I will post pic's in a little while. I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS WILL WORK ON BLACK SHARPIES , I know it only works on Gold and Silver ink pens .

I think the key issue with removing a signature from a bat is whether the ink (whether it be black or some other color) has penetrated into the grain of the bat, or whether it is basically sitting on the surface of some sort of finish which has sealed the grain. If the former, I think removing a signature would be very difficult because you would probably need to sand into the wood beyond where the ink has penetrated. It would be up to you whether having a sanded area, looking obviously different from the finish of the rest of the bat, is acceptable. If the ink has not penetrated the wood grain, then as was suggested above perhaps some solvent can be used to remove the ink without damaging the wood or the finish on the bat. Also, if the bat is not finished with some coating sealing the grain, applying something like olive oil is going to lead to the oil getting into the wood grain and staining it, compounding your problem.

Great thoughts from everyone. Thank you very much for your time. I guess I have to decide how expensive a bat I am willing to risk. If I was talking about a $50 bat maybe it would be worth a shot, but a $500 Dale Murphy bat is quite a risk. I will take all the great info and opinions you have all provided and give it some thought.
    Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

Mike

icollectDCsports,
    You made some great points. Thanks. A sanded area would be even worse than an auto for me (and to everyone else I imagine).
    Perhaps I just need to wait until I can find an unsigned Murphy bat that I am comfortable with. Or at the least I need to first experiment with a cheap or unused bat.
    Thanks again.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
    I think the key issue with removing a signature from a bat is whether the ink (whether it be black or some other color) has penetrated into the grain of the bat, or whether it is basically sitting on the surface of some sort of finish which has sealed the grain. If the former, I think removing a signature would be very difficult because you would probably need to sand into the wood beyond where the ink has penetrated. It would be up to you whether having a sanded area, looking obviously different from the finish of the rest of the bat, is acceptable. If the ink has not penetrated the wood grain, then as was suggested above perhaps some solvent can be used to remove the ink without damaging the wood or the finish on the bat. Also, if the bat is not finished with some coating sealing the grain, applying something like olive oil is going to lead to the oil getting into the wood grain and staining it, compounding your problem.
    Due to my experience using olive oil on my bats for years and removing ink, excess pine tar from the M9 label , etc . I have to disagree big time ! The olive oil will actually help restain certian colored bats . Example I have a Kevin Stocker gamer that has chip on the barrell that was showing bare wood , well after several applications , the color/staining has magically re-appeared . As far getting the ink out of the grain ...... look at the pics of the DiFelice bat and tell me what you see . If I didn't know the 2000 was written there, you would never be able to tell . It takes time and several applications and erasing and you can get it out of the grain.......HOWEVER AS STATED BEFORE this works on SILVER & GOLD ink only and on stained bats (brown,rose, black, walker finish) ...I have not used this on natural wood bats....WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT USE SAND PAPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Name:  difelicebat1.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  170.4 KB

Name:  difelicebat2.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  209.2 KB

On the black bat, it appears that the grain is sealed by the black paint, so the gold marker probably never got into the grain. By grain, I mean the actual pores of the wood, bare wood. Most bats these days have some sort of finish that covers the bare wood and seals it pretty well, whether that finish is colored paint or a clear finish like polyurathane. With use, some of the finish can be worn off and it may be possible for ink, sharpie, paint pen, to get into those areas. But I'm sure many bats with decent use are still sealed very well.

Applying any liquid (that does not totally evaporate) to bare wood grain has the ability to stain it. Changing the color of wood is one reason why various oils are sometimes used to finish furniture. In some cases, it may stain portions of the bat to look like the rest of the bat and you may view that as a benefit. Or it may restore the sheen or luster to a portion of a finished bat that has been worked on to remove an autograph. When making the decision whether to try to remove an autograph, the person making that decision will need to consider all of these factors.

Hi there DC, you are absolutely correct , that's why I have never tried it on natural bats. My brother is big into woodworking and gave me the idea to try it , back in 1999 . I have even used the olive oil just to put more shine on some bats that were heavily used w/ no problems . I responded to your private messaage a few minutes ago.