Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hunt Auctions #967 Chet Lemon jersey

Guys.........Hello. I've been a long time 'lurker' and have a couple questions about this '87 Chet Lemon game jersey in Hunt Auctions current sale. After reading in depth about how the Tigers equipment manager Jim Schmakel has initialed almost all game jerseys since the 1980's, how rare is it to find non-initialed authentic game worn Tigers jerseys from this era? I've heard that some jerseys walked out the door and were later retrieved by team personel, so how rare is it to find true gamers? Also, does this look like the correct letter height for a last name on the back? My concern is I've seen some '84 jerseys with larger letters. Thanks in advance for any information and sorry for the large scans............Matt
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Banned

Cool Re: Hunt Auctions #967 Chet Lemon jersey

I'd have to scan my files regarding the NOB size, but the jersey size and tags look good. The team did act to retrieve jerseys that Jim Schmakel hadn't put his initials on, usually at Detroit area card shows. Theretrieved some but by no means got all of them.

Dave Miedema

Re: Hunt Auctions #967 Chet Lemon jersey

Welcome to the site Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by kzoo View Post
    After reading in depth about how the Tigers equipment manager Jim Schmakel has initialed almost all game jerseys since the 1980's, how rare is it to find non-initialed authentic game worn Tigers jerseys from this era?
    This is not an accurate statement. Jim did not initial jerseys from the 80's or early 90's, they recycled them to the minor league teams. I have only ever seen 2 Tigers jerseys from the 80's that were initialed/signed by Jim, and both of those are in the Hall of Fame. In the late 90's, Jim sold almost all jerseys in the clubhouse to Wayne Otto, and not one of those jerseys were marked by Jim.

The fair statement to make would be that when the MLB Authentication program was implemented by the Tigers, Jim started initialing jerseys as his approval and authentication.

I've heard that some jerseys walked out the door and were later retrieved by team personel, so how rare is it to find true gamers?
    It is rare, but they do exist and they usually come with a decent price tag. I know many Tigers collectors, including myself, that hold onto those jerseys very tight when acquired. There is more demand for these jerseys than modern day hall of famers.

Also, does this look like the correct letter height for a last name on the back? My concern is I've seen some '84 jerseys with larger letters
    More important than height (there was lots of variance in the 80's), is whether there was a name or number change to the jersey. I can see the stitching in the photos, which is usually an indication of a "clubhouse" job. The blue piping on the jersey shows tremendous use.

Good luck bidding.