Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hybrid View

Re: The World's Most Famous Arena - my MSG stuff

And keeping with the early days ... this is a 1928 MSG pass signed on both sides by Tex Rickard. When Tex Rickard saw the popularity of the NY Americans, he decided to form his own hockey team to play in the new Madison Square Garden he was developing. Critics scoffed at the Texan's idea and called his new hockey team "Tex's Rangers." Thus was born the New York Rangers. This card directed MSG staff to permit entry at all times to Amon Carter, a fellow Texas millionaire with a famous art museum in his name. Rickard died one year later in 1929 of a burst appendix. He is a member of Boxing HOF as a promoter and deserves to be enshrined in Hockey HOF as a Builder. Upside down again - go figure!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This is an ancient framed collection of jersey crests from the Metropolitan Hockey League circa 1930s. This league matched amateur teams before the EHL Rovers games which preceded the Rangers games (triple headers of hockey at MSG!). I already had one of these from a former Sands Point player (including photos of the player with the team crest sewn on the front of his sweater). That was the only one I ever saw until I picked these up. In addition to a cool Met League patch, there are crests for the Jamaica Hawks, NY Stock Exchange Brokers club, Sands Point Tigers, and Manhattan Arrows. Except for Sands Point, all of these crests are styled after the NY Rangers shield logo. This display originated from the front office at the old MSG and the frame is original. Another personal connection for me is that this came from the collection of an old friend and these specific crests were photographed and included in Tom Sarro and Stan Fischler's great book, "Metro Ice."

A few pair of folding seats from MSG, circa 1950 - 2000, with assorted Garden souvenirs.

A badge and hat piece for the security officers, photos suggest circa 1950s, give or take. Sorry for upside down. Not sure why my photos keep getting flipped when I upload.

Program from the last NY Rangers game at the old MSG in 1968.
    Still looking for more from World's Most Famous Arena!
    dmzeverg[[at]]ptd[[dot]]net

That is a great collection of MSG memorabilia and very unique. I have to say that the subway sign is my absolute favorite with the two ushers' hats close behind, but all are very cool items!

Mark Hayne

A pair of MSG seats I've finally added to the collection.
    One of the seats needs a little support work but the wood and leather are all original.
    I've seen photos showing these seats date back to the opening of the old Garden in 1926.
    42 years of usage in the building and another 49 years since they closed the place in 1968!
    Only the second pair I've seen in 25 years of looking. I’m psyched to add these to the collection.

MSG continued ...