Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The World's Most Famous Arena - my MSG stuff

Along with jerseys and equipment from hockey and football, I enjoy tracking down artifacts from the various incarnations of Madison Square Garden. Over the years, I have collected seats, signs, usher hats, security badges, photos and so on from the World's Most Famous Arena. I will post some of my favorites here and invite others to do same. I am always looking to add more. Thanks, John
    dmzeverg [AT] ptd [D0T] net

First up is a brick from the incarnation of MSG that reigned from 1926 until 1968, known as MSG III. It was purchased from an antiques dealer handling the estate of a former, longtime official at MSG. I also obtained a photo of this same official with two other MSG officials, including NY Rangers HOF'er Muzz Patrick, standing at the demolition site of MSG III. The men are holding identical bricks in their hands and others can be seen in the rubble. I apologize in advance if this photo posts upside down (it is correct in my computer but the preview tool on here shows otherwise).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: The World's Most Famous Arena - my MSG stuff

Two usher hats embroidered with Madison Square Garden, styled matched to photos from 1920-30s and 1940-50s respectively.

I would have loved to have been at the Led Zeppelin concerts there in 1973. But I was only 8 at the time....
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Yup, too young for the 1977 shows too.
    Here's a sick piece for the DEEP pocketed Zep head:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/111760484970...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I would have loved to been alive, to have been able to see Elvis Presley perform there in concert!

Banned

Exclamation Re: The World's Most Famous Arena - my MSG stuff

If you want something bizarre, get a DVD of Godzilla (the Matthew Broderick version from the 1990s set in New York City). The Garden plays a pivotal role towards the end of the movie (though not necessarily a pleasant one),

Dave Miedema

This is an old illuminated exit sign from MSG pre-1968 closing. It was long ago retrieved from the Garden by a NYC fireman. Each of the exits were numbered and this one is "EXIT96". I had it box framed with an electric light behind it. You can see this exact exit sign in old photos directly beneath the elaborate scoreboard.

If you are an MSG or Rangers fan, and have a LOT of space...
    ...we are actually auctioning off the entire Rangers hockey rink use during the Stanley Cup 1994 season (1991-2013).
    details when our auction previews in 2 weeks

That sounds incredible Ken. You would need a serious hockey den to fit the whole rink!
    Here's a pair of folding seats that were used for floor seating and extra seats until the renovations in MSG. I particularly like the blue one because it is the color of the old blue seats which were pulled out in that same renovation. At the top of my want list is one of the permanent blue seats that came out in 1991.

This is a shadow box with seat pieces scavenged from MSG III when the Rangers played their last game their in 1968. A pair of ticket stubs from the game are displayed too. Please let me know if you get a line on any seats from the old Garden - or any MSG stuff for that matter!