Forum Readers-
I have been asked by several Forum readers to comment on a jersey currently offered by Hunt Auctions.

The jersey in question is a "1979 Steve Carlton Tour of Japan jersey". It is similar to the maroon Rawlings zipper front jerseys the Phillies wore for one game in 1979. The marron jerseys worn by the team are a thick material, zipper front with white numbers and letters. The name on back should be large block (not vertical arch) letters sewn on a maroon nameplate.

The jersey being offered by Hunt's is similar to the team worn maroon jerseys, however, the name on back is in vertical arch and is sewn directly on the jersey, not a plate. Likewise, I own 3 Carlton jerseys and have sold quite a few and have never seen one of his from this time frame in size 44. The Hunt's jersey is a 44. I have 2, 1979 maroon jerseys (Luzinski and McCarver), and both are sized the same as their regular Wilson brand game jerseys).

This particular jersey was offered to me several years ago by a collector. At that time, I informed the collector that not only could I not find any evidnece of this being issued to Carlton (who did not make the trip to Asia), the jersey was completely different than those worn by the Phillies in 1979. Since then, several dealers and collectors have been offered this jersey and asked my opinion. Dealers such as Ball Park Hereos (Kim Stigall) passed on the jersey, based on the fact that no evidence can be produced to support that this was issued to Carlton and also that it does not match known maroon 1979 Phillies jerseys. The other collectors/dealers also passed.

I welcome anyone to provide a photo or some type of documentation/evidence that would allow a LOA to be written indicating this was a game issued jersey for Steve Carlton to wear during the Tour of Japan in 1979.

I have contacted Hunt's to dicusss this, however, received no response.

FYI
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Lot 131
Description: 1979 Steve Carlton Phila. Phillies Tour of Japan jersey. Maroon knit shirt as issued to Carlton for his selection to a U.S. All-Star team that traveled to Japan for an exhibition series. Jersey retains original "32" and "P" on the front with "Carlton" and "32" on the reverse. 1979 MLB Tour of Japan patch is affixed to the left sleeve. Tail front has "44 79 1" chain stitched strip tag along with a Rawlings mfg. tag having "Set 1 1979" flag tag. While Carlton was selected to the team, he did not play in the series and as such, usage wear is minimal. Signed on the front by Carlton. Very rare and attractive Tour shirt from a HOF pitcher. Includes LOA's from Global/David Bushing, Lou Lampson, James Spence Authentication (signature), and Hunt Auctions, Inc: EX-MT Estimated Price: ($1,500.00-$2,500.00)