Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Baseball Hall Of Fame Question

Hi,
    Does anyone know if the Baseball Hall of Fame has any say as far as what team a player goes into the hall representing? Is it totally up to the player? Can't seem to be able to get in touch with anyone there who can assist me.

Thanks
    George

Re: Baseball Hall Of Fame Question

it is up to the hall of fame commitee I beleive one player had a disagreement one time and went in without a hat but for the life of me i cannot remember. does it matter which team a player goes into the hall under as far as memorabilia prices ie bats and jerseys

Quote Originally Posted by JRocker49 View Post
    it is up to the hall of fame commitee I beleive one player had a disagreement one time and went in without a hat but for the life of me i cannot remember. does it matter which team a player goes into the hall under as far as memorabilia prices ie bats and jerseys
    To some Hall of Fame collectors it does, usually they match the item to the team. Thanks

George, I just researched this question and found out that the Hall of Fame committee consults the player on his choice but the ultimate decision is with the Hall and not the player. In the particular case I read about, Gary Carter wanted to be shown in his Mets cap, however the committee overruled and decided that he should be depicted in the Expo's cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankwood View Post
    George, I just researched this question and found out that the Hall of Fame committee consults the player on his choice but the ultimate decision is with the Hall and not the player. In the particular case I read about, Gary Carter wanted to be shown in his Mets cap, however the committee overruled and decided that he should be depicted in the Expo's cap.
    Thanks Terry!!

The Hall of Fame will consult a player, but they have the final say. They invoked this rule in 2001 and you can thank Dave Winfield for that. Word was that he was offered one million dollars, a car, and a job from the Padres if he wore a Padre hat on the plaque and then he went to Steinbrenner to top the bid. He was basically selling the hat to the highest bidder. Since there are how many Yankee hats on plaques already, George told him to stick it.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by staindsox View Post
    The Hall of Fame will consult a player, but they have the final say. They invoked this rule in 2001 and you can thank Dave Winfield for that. Word was that he was offered one million dollars, a car, and a job from the Padres if he wore a Padre hat on the plaque and then he went to Steinbrenner to top the bid. He was basically selling the hat to the highest bidder. Since there are how many Yankee hats on plaques already, George told him to stick it.

Chris
    George - Great topic. I had no idea the rules changed. If things went down with Winfield as Chris describes it, that is pathetic.

Every modern living player that makes the HOF has a HUGE financial windfall when they get elected with Cal's probably the biggest marketing effort I have ever witnessed. I guess he is making hay while the sun shines.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by staindsox View Post

Chris
    I didn't know that about Winfield. I heard we have Wade Boggs to thank for that rule because he went to the Devil Rays for money if he would go in as a D-Ray.
    Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.

It was not really talked about to the media. I was working at the Hall of Fame at the time and heard the talk about it going around.