Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thread: "Special" bat ?

"Special" bat ?

I was just in an antique store and saw a bat that caught my eye. No centerbrand and I can only make out "Special" on the barrel. Its stamped in and there appears to have been a script players name below that but it is worn. Anyone familiar with Special?

Re: "Special" bat ?

Could be one of a thousand different bats. "Special" is probably the least special bit of verbiage placed on vintage bats. If the stamping is that light and it isn't a mushroom knob or other highly sought style, it has little collector value.

Re: "Special" bat ?

Nope, not a mushroom knob. Just a regular style bat but old. It does have some glue or shelac on it that wasnt applied very well. It was $12.50 and I thought about grabbing it anyway just because it would be nice to teach my son to hit with a solid vintage wooden bat as opposed to aluminum. I might go back and get it.

On another note, they also had 2 mini bats. One was marked Midget model which if I remember correctly is not worth much at all. There was a mini LS which I could only read Louisville across the bottom of the oval and the number 20 towards the top/middle. If there was a player name its long since gone.