Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game used balls

Game used balls

You see the descriptions on Ebay all the time......."So and So's game used ball"

You click on the auction and discover it was a pitch in the dirt.

The ball was used by the pitcher but to call it used by the hitter is disingenuous.

Just gets on my nerves.

Re: Game used balls

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    You see the descriptions on Ebay all the time......."So and So's game used ball"

You click on the auction and discover it was a pitch in the dirt.

The ball was used by the pitcher but to call it used by the hitter is disingenuous.

Just gets on my nerves.
    Or they call it a "hit ball" because he fouled it off, I've seen that a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Dach0sen0ne View Post
    Or they call it a "hit ball" because he fouled it off, I've seen that a ton.
    Yeah that one is bad too.

Makes me think the seller is someone I could not trust.

I don't see the problem calling a foul ball a hit ball. The player has to hit it to foul it off. When selling a actual hit ball they should say X base hit.

You guys are right and if the bat hit the ball (foul) the word "hit" is used to help with ebay search engine. If you correctly put GAME USED BASEBALL everything but baseballs comes up, if you add just "ball" the same. But if you add "hit", "pitch" or "catch" the search results become clearer. Correct foul is more accurate but I've never searched foul in looking for game used balls on ebay. I wrote in a thread how game used baseballs all look alike and why collect them, and I must apologize as I now started to collect them. I'll post some and how I label the ball cube...

I'll buy a pitch in the dirt (one guy on ebay that's all he sells apparently)if its the pitcher I'm interested in but I look for a great catch first(baseball), a hit second. I document as much as I can with the ball by reading the MLB hologram authentication info, I then watch the half inning on MLB TV which goes back years for every game, a necessity if you want to know everything about the ball. But when searching I plug in "GAME USED BASEBALL CATCH" then "HIT" or "HOLOGRAM" or "PITCH". You got to weed through the sellers who mostly don't sell these things full time. The labels I type small (8) on word perfect (Blue and 12 for MLB Hologram #), print them out, cut them and place scotch tape over them then on cube. I'm not using that much ink and I cut and place the unused paper back in the printer.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by Swoboda4 View Post
    You guys are right and if the bat hit the ball (foul) the word "hit" is used to help with ebay search engine. If you correctly put GAME USED BASEBALL everything but baseballs comes up, if you add just "ball" the same. But if you add "hit", "pitch" or "catch" the search results become clearer. Correct foul is more accurate but I've never searched foul in looking for game used balls on ebay. I wrote in a thread how game used baseballs all look alike and why collect them, and I must apologize as I now started to collect them. I'll post some and how I label the ball cube...
    That is the reason sellers don't say foul instead of hit. Because nobody would look at it.
    Not many people looking for pitches in the dirt or foul balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoboda4 View Post
    I'll buy a pitch in the dirt (one guy on ebay that's all he sells apparently)if its the pitcher I'm interested in but I look for a great catch first(baseball), a hit second. I document as much as I can with the ball by reading the MLB hologram authentication info, I then watch the half inning on MLB TV which goes back years for every game, a necessity if you want to know everything about the ball. But when searching I plug in "GAME USED BASEBALL CATCH" then "HIT" or "HOLOGRAM" or "PITCH". You got to weed through the sellers who mostly don't sell these things full time. The labels I type small (8) on word perfect (Blue and 12 for MLB Hologram #), print them out, cut them and place scotch tape over them then on cube. I'm not using that much ink and I cut and place the unused paper back in the printer.
    I can understand that. Nice collection

I don't think you can blame them too much, teams on MLB auction do the same thing. There is a Wright ball up now, but it was a pitch into the dirt. Who cares who was in the batters box?

I think it matters. It's all about having the ball from that moment in time. Picture the standoff between pitcher and batter, the catcher giving signals, the tension....then the pitch in the dirt. Now you got a ball with tons of authentic home plate field dirt caked on as well. On another note, is it sometimes possible to buy a pitch in the dirt ball that had been used in a big play the batter prior? Like do the the umps change the ball each batter or could you get a pitch in dirt but watch the tape and realize it was a line drive out earlier?