Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Auction House buyer turned Ebay seller in a month?

A few times while perusing memorabilia on Ebay, I'll run into 99 cent no reserve auctions on items I've seen listed recently from other houses like Leland's, Grey Flannel, etc. It makes me curious why they re-enter the market so quickly after the seller established price discovery and offers it up with a low minimum bid.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but is this common practice or raise red flags in the collecting community? I would think a flipper would EBay BIN higher than their hammer price.

Thanks

Re: Auction House buyer turned Ebay seller in a month?

They probably either bid their own items up by shill bidding or ends the auctions early if the bidding does not take the prices high enough then lists them again down the road. My guess any ways.

I have noticed this with the Chicago Bears jerseys as well.
    NFL auction road Martellus Bennett was purchased for $910 is now sitting on eBay for over a year at $1,999
    NFL Auction
    eBay

Here's last Mears auctions Mark Carrier road jersey that ended up at $184 plus $20 in shipping on eBay this week...
    Mears
    eBay

Both Devin Hesters on eBay right now are same. One was bought for $1,100 and is being flipped for $1,999 and the 2nd one came from an auction house where it was bought for about the same and is being flipped by the same owner as the first one for the same $1,999

Personally, I'm not sure there's any money left on the bone if you got it from an auction house but to each their own...

People are still trying to make a quick flip.

Truthfully, unless its an extremely desirable piece, there really is no sellers market anymore. Its been re-hashed over and over, but there is just so much available now in the marketplace that re-sell almost always never produces significantly more money

The original post mentioned a $.99 starting price. I know jonsstats does a lot of this, and I don't think he ever pulls anything or shills. In fact, a couple of times I've lost an item at auction and bought it from him later for less.

Just people trying to make a buck. Which I don't understand. If it goes for whatever price at auction what makes you think it's worth even more a week later? There are a few Jets pieces the guy won from NFL auctions super bowl auction I think 2 years ago and refuses to budge on his prices. I know he didn't pay what he's asking and I know he bought them strictly for profit.

Quote Originally Posted by mad87man View Post
    Just people trying to make a buck. Which I don't understand. If it goes for whatever price at auction what makes you think it's worth even more a week later? There are a few Jets pieces the guy won from NFL auctions super bowl auction I think 2 years ago and refuses to budge on his prices. I know he didn't pay what he's asking and I know he bought them strictly for profit.
    Exactly!

Although there was a guy on eBay a few years back that had outrageous prices and was using eBay to show off his collection. To each their own!

Because something sells at auction doesn't always mean that's what the item is worth. Alot of the time you can find stuff in auction houses that don't bring their actual value.

How do you decide value? I was always told something is only worth what someone will pay for it. Basically what they go for at auction. If 3 people tell you an item is worth 10,000 and they will only give you 8 and 4 other people only offer up to 8,000. In my opinion it's worth 8,000 and not 10.

I bought a game used Sanchez throwback uniform Rookie. Paid 600$. It originally sold for 10,000. How much is it worth?

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    Because something sells at auction doesn't always mean that's what the item is worth. Alot of the time you can find stuff in auction houses that don't bring their actual value.
    Agreed