Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • truvalue123
    • Oct 2014

Re: Orioles Authentics Experience

Wow, I have seen some really high opening bids on MLB.com for O's items, but, most of them don't open...at some point they must get a back up of inventory...do thjey always liquidate at the winter fan fest?
    thanks for the insight.

Comment

• lakeerie92
      • Oct 2008

I can agree for sure when you get an item and people want to buy it right away it can be tough to price and this happened a lot when I was working the Padres program. I'll say this though, I would always rather miss the mark by $25-50 and take the guaranteed sale and make someone happy rather than miss a sale and potentially sit on an item. Sometimes it was out of my hands, but most of the time I was the one doing the pricing and getting good money for items while building a good fan base and growing collectors. The thing I miss most about it is the regulars. In a smaller market it feels like family.
      Russell Wuerffel
      Always looking for Chipper Jones game used bats and authenticated hits and MLB authenticated commemorative logo basballs.
      lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com

Comment

• allstarsplus
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by truvalue123
        Wow, I have seen some really high opening bids on MLB.com for O's items, but, most of them don't open...at some point they must get a back up of inventory...do thjey always liquidate at the winter fan fest?
        thanks for the insight.
        They put 1/2 dozen true premium items in the piles to get the people coming but plenty of JJ Hardy, bench players, 4th and 5th starters, callups, bench players, etc.
        Regards,
        Andrew Lang
        AllstarsPlus@aol.com
        202-716-8500

Comment

• allstarsplus
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by lakeerie92
          Sometimes it was out of my hands, but most of the time I was the one doing the pricing and getting good money for items while building a good fan base and growing collectors. The thing I miss most about it is the regulars. In a smaller market it feels like family.
          Well said. I have people who are now buddies and we keep in touch.

There were some times that the team would dig there feet in the sand and wouldn't budge and only once an item sold at the ridiculous asking price and it was a Chris Davis pre-All Star record setting HR jersey. It was over $5,000 and I felt bad but the guy took it. Out of my own pocket I got it signed later for him at a Chris Davis private signing.

The team had a callup Henry Urrutia and they priced baseballs at $350 at his debut. Not one sold. They eventually went into grab bags for a few bucks as Urrutia fizzled out.

On the other side were people who came into the store or called us with some sense of entitlement and we had one guy who threatened us because we wouldn't drop the price for him. He lied and tried to say we were changing prices on him and he made it personal. The game used market unfortunately is very expensive. We got the team to sell him a jersey just to get rid of him and hoped he would go away. Even after Brett drove him the jersey he still wasn't happy. Some people you just can't make happy.

Fortunately most are appreciative of what we did for them.
          Regards,
          Andrew Lang
          AllstarsPlus@aol.com
          202-716-8500

Comment

• johnsontravis@ymail.com
            • Dec 2013

Unfortunately way too many of the people running authentic's programs suck at their job. The worst is trying to get replies from some of these people. The Brewers guy may be the worst I have ever tried to work with and sadly that is what I mostly collect. Emails take forever to be replied to and usually takes multiple tries. I have emailed him and he stopped replying once I was asking for pictures, price, or even to say I am ready to purchase. It is sad because it got to the point where I now refuse to even buy from them and really turned me off on the hobby.

Just a broken system around the league. No one seems to know what the heck they are doing.

Comment

• Thinking
              • Dec 2014

Bringing this thread back up given current mlb.com auction items up for Orioles.

As always, the O's with ridiculous reserve bid prices.

A Machado HR jersey is still not at the reserve price, even with current bid at $2975.

Why can't these guys simply put them out there and have the market dictate the price.

So annoying.

Comment

• CubbyBear8
                • Nov 2013

I think the potential resale is what drives all of this . For the Cubs specifically , how many Bryant and Arrieta items in the last 2 years (jerseys and bats) have been bought that have not been re sold ? Probably only a few . Dealers are buying them and turning around and trying to sell them at 20k each . It's out of control . Cubs keep raising prices , auctions keep selling for more , so the dealers end up pricing them higher once they re sell them .

Comment

• thomaslynch
                  • Jan 2013

I already feel like MLB auctions gets top dollar on most items (at least with regards to the Orioles). Not sure how these people that pay these high prices are able to turn much of a profit reselling these jerseys. Do you think they make more than they paid, and even if they do, is it enough to justify the hassle of buying and reselling?

Comment

• mr.miracle
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by thomaslynch
                    I already feel like MLB auctions gets top dollar on most items (at least with regards to the Orioles). Not sure how these people that pay these high prices are able to turn much of a profit reselling these jerseys. Do you think they make more than they paid, and even if they do, is it enough to justify the hassle of buying and reselling?
                    Yeah I ask myself that same question often. Check out a similar thread about people flipping this stuff or trying to for a profit. It was mentioned in there that many of these folks are running ebay museums these days not seller accounts as people buy this stuff off MLB auctions and have it listed the next day for 5 times over what they just paid.

I guess there is an idiot born every day but if you are a person who is capable of paying literally 1000's for a game worn star player jersey or bat etc would you not do your due diligence prior to purchasing and check out what similar items have recently sold for?

I don't get how this possibly ever works. As my old high school basketball coach use to say, even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while. I just don't see how this works enough to even be worth the hassle especially when I as a seller rarely if ever break even on an ebay sale these days

Maybe if you had unlimited funds and don't really care if and when the item ever sells but to how many of us does that statement ever apply
                    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Comment

Working...