Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Orioles Authentics Experience

Hi All,

I have had a couple of interesting experiences with Orioles Authentics over the last year or so since they have taken over for Art of the Game at the beginning of last year and wanted to get input from other Orioles collectors. I have emailed them, or called them, a couple of times regarding specific items I wanted to acquire. When I call or email them I am quoted a significantly higher price than what the item is in its store for. For example, last year I called regarding a Jose Altuve double ball and they quoted me $500 for it, then later it was in the store for $400. And just recently I emailed regarding a lineup card that they had in their store all season and FanFest for $150 and when I emailed them about it now it all of a sudden is $250. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I am not a big fan of this practice if this is what truly is going on.

Re: Orioles Authentics Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Oriolesfan29 View Post
    Hi All,

I have had a couple of interesting experiences with Orioles Authentics over the last year or so since they have taken over for Art of the Game at the beginning of last year and wanted to get input from other Orioles collectors. I have emailed them, or called them, a couple of times regarding specific items I wanted to acquire. When I call or email them I am quoted a significantly higher price than what the item is in its store for. For example, last year I called regarding a Jose Altuve double ball and they quoted me $500 for it, then later it was in the store for $400. And just recently I emailed regarding a lineup card that they had in their store all season and FanFest for $150 and when I emailed them about it now it all of a sudden is $250. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I am not a big fan of this practice if this is what truly is going on.
    Since Brett and I ran the store there for almost 5 years it has changed a lot and strictly speaking as a collector that sounds like a lot even at $400 for an Altuve hit ball. I would have to ask Chris Boyd if he remembers what we sold Altuve items to him for when we ran it.

We brought years of expertise to the store in pricing game used items and marketing them.

Good luck to you out there.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

I know Andrew I miss you guys! You always treated me fairly and hooked me up with all the Schoop stuff. I haven't bought nearly as much from the team run store as I did with you guys as the prices have gone crazy. The Schoop singles you used to sell for $55-$75 are now $100-$150.

It's almost like if they know you are interested in a specific item they raise the price on you. It's just shady since it's happened to me multiple times. $400 is definitely high on a double of his, the Astros don't even sell them for that much. That's why I almost laughed when they told me $500 over the phone last season. What is weirder too is they would also ask for your name before giving a price quote on an item. Just doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy.

I don't want to bad mouth them, I've just been turned off by the practices. I was curious if other collectors have had similar issues.

I've had the same experiance with the Royals Authentics store. Last year I tried to line up a Hosmer bat a couple days before making a 3 hour drive to see a game. Ended up getting price for a Gordon jersey too. They did not have the bat and was quoted $1100 for the jersey. When I got to the store for the game his jerseys were $900 including the same one I asked about just days before.

I've had really good experiences with the Royals Authentics store before and since that one time, but I don't know if I can ever fully believe a price I'm quoted over the phone or email again. I only make a hand full of games every year and don't mind paying for what I want, but I don't want to pay a 20% premium plus shipping just cause I call in for an item.

That's interesting. I know all these guys talk to each other, hopefully its not a trend. I guess if I really want something instead of calling in for it its best to just go to the store. I got so pissed off at the store yesterday that I canceled my entire order that I had going with them. I guess they assume that if we are emailing or calling we don't know about what they charge in the store for a certain item.

Well unfortunately I get to revive this thread. Another classic un-classy move by the head guy at Orioles Authentics. So tonight Jonathan Schoop broke his bat. I, just two weeks ago bought a bat of his for $375 in the presence of the head guy. So I ask how much he wants for this one, and there is nothing special about it, he proceeds to ask his other two co-workers what the last one sold for, they replied $350 I believe, so he says yea it's $450. Im like I literally bought one two weeks ago for $375, he didn't care. It's no surprise no one goes in the store after the game anymore, he has almost single handedly turned a lot of us away from it. That place used to be hoping after every game. He keeps this up he will lose another loyal customer.

If they keep trying to rip you off you should stop buying from them. I know you buy alot from them and we talked about the HEAD GUY many times before.

Yea it just sucks that one party basically has control of the market. I think it's getting to the point where I may choose principal over the collecting that I love. It's going to be difficult to continue dealing with them.

I still keep in touch with a lot of our old customers and most say they have given up and will try the sales at the Fan Fest.

When we ran the store at OPACY fairness was a key and while some thought the prices were still high we were able to sell with plenty of demand which told me we were where we needed to be.

I remember one guy complaining about a price on a Machado bat and we got it reduced for him. Well I found out later he sold it for over $1,000 profit and there lies the problem.

The teams are sick of seeing their items flipped and I know from some of the authentics people that became a sore point where they want to sell directly to the end user at full retail.

What it's done is hurt the baseball fans who go to the games and don't make $500,000 a year and can't afford $400 for an Schoop double baseball.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    If they keep trying to rip you off you should stop buying from them. I know you buy alot from them and we talked about the HEAD GUY many times before.
    That's the only recourse you really have Geoff. I'm glad people now think that Brett and I were fair when we ran it
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500