Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Re: Game Used Hit Baseball Collection

The Royals Jorge Bonifacio hit this ball on 5/18/17 off Yankees pitcher Chad Green for a single. It was his 17th career hit.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Using the bookshelf for extra display space for some new game used baseballs.

If anyone wants me to keep my eyes open for any baseballs from Minute Maid Park in Houston, let me know. I can let you know when your team comes through what's available.

Thanks,
    Andy
    ajkbats@gmail.com

Michael Brantley's 200th career double. Brantley doubled off of Joe Musgrove on May 21, 2017 at Minute Maid Park. The Indians would go on to defeat the Astros 8-6.

Picked up a final out game used ball from Mickey Mantle's 3rd career game. In the last Leland's auction I picked up a set of eight hand-painted game used baseballs from the collection of former MLB pitcher Sandy Consuegra. I collect George Sosnak balls so this set really intrigued me. All of the balls are last outs from Consuegra wins, mostly from 1954 and 1955 from his days with the White Sox.

The one unpainted ball just has the line score and rosters. That trophy ball is definitely from the 4/20/51 game (game 1) between the Senators and Yankees, which just so happened to be Mantle's 3rd career game. The ball is again likely from the final out, which was a flyball off the bat of Yogi Berra. But DiMaggio and Mantle batted before Yogi (Mantle hit his first career triple), so I guess it's remotely possible that the ball was used in play prior to the final out. Either way, it's a ball from Mantle's 3rd career game, first road game.

I would like to thank Leland's for not properly researching their items and allowing collectors to find gems like this. If anyone has video or a pitch-by-pitch of this game please let me know.

I was collecting Yoenis Cepedes hits, but decided to stop that collection and start picking up Michael Conforto Hits.

thought this was cool because the face was hit off the ball

I was at the Yankees @ Royals game on Sunday May 10, 2018 and picked up my traditional game ball. It was labeled as as an Aaron Judge ground out to SS and that was the price I paid for it. I checked the Authentication a week later to find out I had gotten a hidden gem. It was also a Giancarlo Stanton double, his 10th of the year. It was his 1005 career hit. Royals Authentics was selling a Stanton single for $350 which is way more than I paid for this ball so I figured I came out good. Even photo matched it. In the picture is Whit Merrifield at second with the ball bouncing out of his glove on the throw from LF Alex Gordon. Needless to say I was happy.

Name:  5CB120D1-CB56-4858-AAFD-F48749CFC449.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  19.6 KBName:  97F98E3F-23DB-4D89-8B13-DBBA1B1B5956.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  20.8 KB
    Last edited by RoyalsCollector; 08-01-2018 at 01:42 PM.

With any balls, especially from the minors or college, one should always keep a record of who hit or pitched it, etc. One never knows what the future might bring for the players involved. For example, this year nine different alumni from the South Carolina gamecocks have appeared in one or more MLB games, but only two of them (Justin Smoak and Sam Dyson) were considered MLB prospects when they entered college. The other seven are: Jackie Bradley, Jr.; Grayson Greiner; Whit Merrifield; Steve Pearce; Christian Walker; Tyler Webb; and Lonnie Chisenhall (only briefly a gamecock before transferring).

Most of never thought some of these guys would make MLB, because the scouts weren't taking them seriously though they were stars here. Bradley was ignored and undrafted until the 2010 College World Series (the end of his sophomore season), though we gamecock fans regularly saw him make many of those great CF plays he now makes for the Red Sox. Merrifield was the same super-utility guy and clutch hitter for the gamecocks that the Royals now see, though he languished for nine years in their minor leagues! Any gamecock fan could've told the Royals what they were missing. And the same is true of many visiting players.

So anybody who got an item connected with these guys in college would be gratified at how much that item would come to mean! A simple index card or word processor is all that's needed to keep a note that may pay off about the balls, etc. you may get. You never know what the future may bring!