Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cal Ripken Jr. game used bat question

Can anyone tell me if Cal Ripken Jr. taped the handle of his bats like this? Also in 1984 did Cal order 34 1/2 inch bats model P72?

Thanks, Bobby
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Re: Cal Ripken Jr. game used bat question

Ripkens records were available before they were pulled down with several others over a week ago.

Post Re: Cal Ripken Jr. game used bat question

Hi Bobby,

I'm curious to know if you inquired with the seller about the number on the knob. I also was interested in this bat until I saw that it didn't have Cal's #8.

Since it has an incorrect number on the knob I'm not sure that the records matter much. I seem to recall that the bat did match records, but was likely not used by Cal anyway.

Hope this helps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Byington
    Hall of Fame Bats
    tim@hofbats.com

Although Cal has been known to tape bat handles in the past, this is not the norm for him nor have I ever seen any type of tape pattern such as this on one of his bats. The taped bats of Cal's that I have seen either have a solid pattern of tape on the handle or tape criss-crossed on the handle sort of like an x pattern. I have never seen random pieces of tape in two places on the bat handle.

Since there are other questions related to the number on the bat etc. I will let that speak for itself in terms of whether you want to take a chance on this be an authentic Ripken gamer.

Thanks
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Quote Originally Posted by gameused View Post
    Can anyone tell me if Cal Ripken Jr. taped the handle of his bats like this? Also in 1984 did Cal order 34 1/2 inch bats model P72?

Thanks, Bobby

Hello Bobby:

To answer the other part of your question, the rest of the bat in terms of model and weight etc. look okay. Cal did order primarily P72 as his bat of choice for the bulk of his career although you will find probably a dozen models ordered by him throughout his career. The P72 was his favorite model and the two-tone Walker finish P72 was ordered during this stage of his career although you would have to check specific ordering records to verify his exact # of this make and model ordered during the 84 season.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Brett Herman

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

This tape pattern is the type of pattern that Eddie Murray uses on this bats. Since Murray and Ripken were teammates how far fetched could it be that Eddie borrowed one of Cal's gamers.

What number is on the knob anyway?

Just a thought.

David

Post Re: Cal Ripken Jr. game used bat question

The knob has #35 on it.

By the way, I'm not the seller of the bat. I had originally requested photos of the bat from the seller and was fairly excited until I saw the #35 on the knob. It's a nice bat otherwise.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Byington
    Hall of Fame Bats
    tim@hofbats.com

Personally I've never seen a Ripken bat with the tape configuration in the photos. I don't believe Cal ordered 34" bats in his career. At least based upon Mike's reply in a previous forum thread, according to factory records, he didn't order any 34" bats from 1986 and beyond!

06-17-2006, 01:16 PM
    MSpecht vbmenu_register("postmenu_13477", true);
    GUF Administrator

Re: Cal Ripken 34" bats
    During 1986-1989 labeling period, only 3 orders of P72 Riopken model bats are documented as being shipped in Ripken's personal factory records--all were shipped to Baseball Miscellaneous, and none had a two-toned (probably Walker) finish. The orders totaled only four bats.

During the 1991-1997 labeling period, no 34 inch bats of any model were sent to Ripken for professional use. All 34 inch bats of any model including P72 (in numerous finishes) were sent to promotional companies such as Baseball Express, Ike Company, Tufton Group, and a few others. The Orioles themselves ordered 84 Ripken 34 inch P72 bats (Black Finish) in 1995 for a promotional event.

Any suggested use of 34 inch bats from either of these two labeling periods is not supported by documented evidence in Ripken's H & B factory records.

Hope this helps...

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com
    :eek: "Shows solid identifier puckering" :eek: --Lou Lampson

Dan (ripkengamers@aol.com)

Quote Originally Posted by bat_master View Post
    The knob has #35 on it.

By the way, I'm not the seller of the bat. I had originally requested photos of the bat from the seller and was fairly excited until I saw the #35 on the knob. It's a nice bat otherwise.

Just an FYI, that uniform number 35 belonged to Orioles outfielder Gary Roenicke during the mid 80's, if that is the uniform number on the knob, perhaps someone can locate a picture of Roenicke using a bat with a tape pattern like the one displayed on this P72 Ripken bat. I am not personally familiar with how Roenicke prepared his bats for game use.

Additionally, I believe the 34.5 inch bat is classified as a 35 inch bat in Ripken's order records. I could be totally wrong, but I believe that Cal did order a number of bats shipped in the 34.5 inch length. In any case, it appears that this bat was not used by Cal at least not based on use characteristics.

Thanks
    Brett Herman

FYI, that was Roenicke's number from 1978 - 1985 during his career with Baltimore, uniform number 35.

Thanks
    Brett Herman