Re: Ripken Batting Helmet on Ebay

Quote Originally Posted by rbalm View Post
    Hi,

Any Batting helmet experts have an opinion on the following item:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAL-RIPKEN-JR-Ga...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks
    Adam

Hello Adam:

I know that the helmet is being offered by forum member Dan Derleth who is a hugh collector of Cal Ripken game used items out of New York. Dan is a solid guy and is very knowlegable about all things Cal Ripken and has been a hugh help to me personally in the past.

As for the helmet itself, I along with many others have tried unsuccessfully to figure out the ABC datewheel on these darn helmets over the years. If anybody has figured it out then they should probably be the chairman of the math dept. at MIT. I tend to shy away from game used hats and batting helmets because they are so hard to date and also due to the fact that they are easy to fake.

The only thing I would suggest is asking Dan where he obtained it and what kind of provenance it has behind it since it does not come with a COA/LOA. I would also check the sizing of the helmet against other Ripken game used helmets to verify that this is also correct. I did not look closely at the size of this helmet to see what it is.

Don't know if this helps, but good luck

Thanks
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Howard,

You had mentioned that you owned a Ripken batting helmet. Can you please share the size?

Thanks,
    Dave

All of the authentic Ripken helmets that I have seen over the years have been in a size 7 & 3/8th. If anyone has seen other sizes please let me know. Don't know about its specific background but there is a picture of one on lelands.com from an old auction several years ago I believe reported to be a 99 helmet in a 7 3/8 saying it came directly from the Orioles themselves. Hope that helps.

Thanks

Brett
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Banned

Brett-
    My Ripken game used helmet was manufactured in 1998 and worn in 1999. It came from THE source for O's equipment at the time along with a Ripken pre-game. The size is 7 3/8.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

ALWAYS BUYING PHILLIES, PORTLAND BEAVERS AND PORTLAND MAVERICKS JERSEYS

I see that AMI also sold a ripken batting helmet that was 7 3/8...

Thanks to all the forum members for your comments regarding my helmet. I now also have reservations on the helmet size as well. In all my research from past auctions, Ripken helmets have been 7 3/8. This generally holds true for Cal's hat sizes as well but I've also seen cap sizes at those other than 7 3/8 on auction so I'm still not 100% convinced this is not a legit Ripken helmet.
    This may not be the best example as it's authenticated by Lampson but AM has a size 7 1/8 cap on auction right now:

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...ction_ID=34003

I guess my question is this........if it's not Ripken's helmet then who's is it? The helmet is 100% original and no sign of the numbering on the helmet being doctored or replaced. Sources indicate this is probably not a Bluefield minor league helmet so then ....................
    I'd love to hear from anyone who can explain who's helmet this might be if not Cal's!
    :eek: "Shows solid identifier puckering" :eek: --Lou Lampson

Dan (ripkengamers@aol.com)

Didn't someone on this forum once post some info about authentic number kits that can be purchased for batting helmets? If those are available and virtually identical to what the team used, it seems like it would be easy to create a Ripken helmet. I've seen a lot of questionable helmets over the years, and as a result, I won't purchase game used helmets unless I get them from the team or player directly.
    Rob Steinmetz
    www.authenticgamers.com
    authenticgamers@aol.com

Paying top dollar for Chicago Cubs game used equipment!

Quote Originally Posted by RobSteinmetz View Post
    Didn't someone on this forum once post some info about authentic number kits that can be purchased for batting helmets? If those are available and virtually identical to what the team used, it seems like it would be easy to create a Ripken helmet. I've seen a lot of questionable helmets over the years, and as a result, I won't purchase game used helmets unless I get them from the team or player directly.
    Rob,

I'm with you, these batting helmets are really easy to fake! I recently inquired about a David Ortiz game used helmet and the seller said it was from the end of the 2006 season and sent some photos.

I checked on some end of the year game photos of Ortiz and the helmet he wore showed a lot more game use and the inner padded head band was black and the sellers head band was tan.

Best Regards, Bobby

Rob, Bobby,

Apperciate your comments and speculation about faking helmets with number kits but this helmet is NOT one of those trust me! This helmet is not a couple years old. The inside padding is old, cracked and a piece is missing. Close inspection will show that the number on this helmet is original.............and given the age of this helmet and the amount of use (abuse) I can't imagine anyone taking the time back then to fake this. So.................anyone else got any ideas?
    :eek: "Shows solid identifier puckering" :eek: --Lou Lampson

Dan (ripkengamers@aol.com)