Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Owning something game used from the first pro athlete you ever met

Thought it would be interesting to see how many of us own game used item(s) from the first pro athlete you ever met.

I'll start.

On 9/27/1975 I attended our little league annual awards banquet and met then Yankee centerfielder Elliot Maddox. He autographed a cardboard sheet of paper for me and it was the first in person autograph I ever got from a baseball player.

I've been fortunately enough to have in my collection Elliot's 78 game used road jersey when he was a Met and 77-79 HB game used bat.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Re: Owning something game used from the first pro athlete you ever met

On May 15, 1989 I was 12 years old and was at a home Reds game against the Pirates. Lenny Harris came over and signed my ticket stub. I was not seeking an autograph, but he was standing right in front of me and signing, so I handed him the stub. I still have that stub, it is the only in person auto I own.

Ever since, I have always rooted for Lenny and I now own one of his game used Reds hats, a GU Reds jersey, and probably 5 or so GU bats.

Good idea for a thread! A lot of fond memories for me!

Nice Dan! I was 12 too in 75 when I met Elliot Maddox!
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Banned

Talking Re: Owning something game used from the first pro athlete you ever met

Quote Originally Posted by Jags Fan Dan View Post
    On May 15, 1989 I was 12 years old and was at a home Reds game against the Pirates. Lenny Harris came over and signed my ticket stub. I was not seeking an autograph, but he was standing right in front of me and signing, so I handed him the stub. I still have that stub, it is the only in person auto I own.

Ever since, I have always rooted for Lenny and I now own one of his game used Reds hats, a GU Reds jersey, and probably 5 or so GU bats.

Good idea for a thread! A lot of fond memories for me!
    Lenny is a superb guy and is one of my Facebook friends. He gave me a Marlins cap in 2003 and I bought a 2015 Marlins road coach's jersey on eBay a few months ago.

Dave Miedema

As far as I know, the first pro athlete I met was a neighbor, Royals 1st baseman and OFer Pete LaCock. I do have a team signed baseball from 1978 that he gave me, back when I was just 3-4 years old. However I've never picked up any of his game used gear.

After that, next ball player I can recall meeting was George Brett at an autograph signing at a KMart in like 1980. I have since picked up a few Brett items...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

The earliest ball players I remember meeting were Royals players from the early 1990's. I got autographs from all of them. Mark Gubicza, Garry Gaetti, and a couple others. I think I met most of them during an autograph day. The ones that still stands out all this time later is meeting Bob "Hammer" Hamelin. It was a great day I had gotten several autographs (still have them all too). I saw Bob alone talking to one guy behind home plate. I waited for him to get done talking to the other fan and politely asked for his autograph. He said sure, so I handed my card through the netting with a ball point pen. He tried to sign it but it was a glossy card so there was no ink transfer. He looked up at me and said sorry kid it did not write. I looked at it and was not disappointed. You see even though there was no writing on the card there was still the impression from the ball point pen. R.J. Hamelin, I could see it clear as day. I said that was OK, showed him the impression and gratefully thanked him for his time and effort. Can't remember the card that I tried to get signed, I still have it but it is in a book that I'm not digging out at this time.
    When I started collecting Game used items I had always wanted on from Bob Hamelin. I finally got that last year with this bat. Not much use on it but is still a bat I proudly hang on my wall.
    Attached Images Attached Images