Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Info Needed Mazzilli '86 Mets Bench Jacket

David, thank you for the '86 gamer photo.

the stitching for the 13 on the shoulder is white, the zig zag on the original patch edge is yellowish.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Swoboda,

The Dykstra jersey patch is sewn on in a straight around orange stitch, not the "zig-zag" (is this the official term?) stitch that the original jacket patch used. The jersey patch was probably sewn on by Goodman or the Mets' stitcher. All the jerseys I have seen have had that straight stitch. I am almost positive the jacket's 13 and anniversary patch would have been sewn on by Starter. Looks like they used the same stitching for the 13 as for the patch, which I would expect. I have that same jacket from Starter, not team issued, but bought in 1988. It has the round baseball Met logo patch, no numbers or anniversary patch (I added that patch later myself). It too uses the zig-zag...which not to get too technical, but we must, actually uses two colors of thread somehow...the outside layer which is seen, is orange on mine. This makes sense as the patch edge is orange and you don't want to see the thread. On mine, the thread on the underside is blue...not so important as it would never be seen. When I had a sport shop sew my anniversary patch on years later, they used the same stitching...orange zig-zag on top, blue on underside. Here is my jacket:

So where do we go from here? If it were me, and I wanted to keep the jacket, I would try to remove the repro patch. You say it is heat pressed...perhaps heating it would loosen the adhesive. This jacket is polyester, so I would not heat it too much, as it may scorch. I would protect the areas around the patch if I did so...and heat from the underside possibly. If you are lucky, you can get that repro off and replace with a vintage real patch...I have an extra laying around somewhere. There are many repros out there, including a vintage, smaller fan club version that often confuses people.

BTW, what very well may have happened is someone wanted the original patch to use on perhaps a jersey to make it a 1986 jersey when it wasn't, or perhaps replace a missing 1986 patch on a more valuable player jersey. They then could only find a repro to replace it with.

What ever happened with this project?

Researching the anniversary patch. I need an exact patch ( not neccesarily game used). Will keep original patch remnant.But present patch has the word anniversary in white, which is wrong. Need to remove carefully.

Patch is in orange not white, sorry. Which is inaccurate

Robert,

I might have a patch for you. I'll check when I have a chance.

Nick
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Thanks Nick

As I said earlier, I have an authentic team issued patch if you want it. The way to tell is the little blue w on the right side bat handle. No repro has it. Also the authentic patch measures 3 1/2 in. top to bottom. The team issued Fan Club patch measures 3".