Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Question for White Sox collectors about 1970s/80s collared jersey

I just picked up what appears to be one of the infamous late 70s/early 80s softball style collared jerseys. It is made of mesh material and measures about 27.5" from top of the collar to the bottom and 22" from pit to pit. I did a bit of research it appears that the manufacturing tag would place this jersey in the 1979-81 era but theres no set tag. This jersey is pretty beat up and I'm not sure if there ever was a set tag or if it was removed. The white threads on the seams originally were the same color as the mesh jersey but had become white. The back of the jersey has a #15 patch on the back but the inner part appears to have been removed or possibly ripped off from excessive use/washing. Additionally you can see that there used to be a nameplate on the back. Was this jersey originally a Chicago White Sox major league jersey that was converted for a Sox minor league affiliate later on or could it have been made simply for a Sox minor league team? I've always been a fan of this quirky jersey design so I'd love to hear what you guys think and learn more.

thanks,
    -Sherman
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Banned

Lightbulb Re: Question for White Sox collectors about 1970s/80s collared jersey

Capital Ace did use nameplates for NOBs in 1981 and that year also found jerseys almost always without a collar flag tag. It probably was at some point sent to the minors, but it appears to have originally been a 1981 White Sox MLB gamer.

Dave Miedema

Banned

Lightbulb Re: Question for White Sox collectors about 1970s/80s collared jersey

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    Capital Ace did use nameplates for NOBs in 1981 and that year also found jerseys almost always without a collar flag tag. It probably was at some point sent to the minors, but it appears to have originally been a 1981 White Sox MLB gamer.

Dave Miedema
    While nameplates were the norm for the Chisox in 1981, there may be a very limited number of exceptions. A pitcher picked up in mid/late 1981, the late Lynn McGlothen, had at least 1 home jersey with an individually lettered NOB, that discovered from sitting behind the Sox bullpen at a game during the '81 season.

Dave Miedema

Re: Question for White Sox collectors about 1970s/80s collared jersey

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    While nameplates were the norm for the Chisox in 1981, there may be a very limited number of exceptions. A pitcher picked up in mid/late 1981, the late Lynn McGlothen, had at least 1 home jersey with an individually lettered NOB, that discovered from sitting behind the Sox bullpen at a game during the '81 season.

Dave Miedema
    Thanks for the info, Dave! You answered all my questions.

That is not an official jersey. The white threaded seams around the bottom, sleeves and shoulders were never visible on the originals.

Quote Originally Posted by Southsidesox View Post
    That is not an official jersey. The white threaded seams around the bottom, sleeves and shoulders were never visible on the originals.
    The white threaded seams used to be the same blue color as the rest of the jersey. They've lost their original color and turned white after numerous washings. I know this because they're still blue underneath the armpits but transition to white.