Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

People selling stuff they dont own!

So I am asked by a guy that lists endless bats on ebay (mostly issued or junk) and I wont give his name buy it rhymes with "Cane", what players I'm looking for. I provide him a list and one of the players is Maris. He sends me a link to a PSA 10 bat of Maris he'd sell to me for $10,000(dumb price). I was out of town but just looked at the link and the bat looked familiar so I head to John Taubes site and what do you know theres the exact same bat for $7,899 LOL! I don't have an issue with someone making a profit on me as it happens all the time but is it quite sleezy and dumb to offer a bat you don't own and that's on a well known site that many collectors go to?
    When I call the seller out on this he acknowledges its the same bat and says "yes I do this for a living I don't work for free". When I question that this is kinda a cheesy way to make a living he then email back that I'm pathetic. LOL LOve some people.

Re: People selling stuff they dont own!

That seems to be the way business is being done these days. If you check out sportsmemorabilia com's monster site you'll see that a large number of items they're offering are cheaper when you go and check the sites of the original listing companies. You'll also see that they use the same photo's of the item as listed on the original sites and just add a premium to the price. I guess they must look at it as a finders fee.
    I'm not sure but I believe sportsmemorabilia com is owned by Fanatics.

Our friend at the Highland Mint is nortorious for this selling technique.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Just to play devil's advocate, if you send someone a want list and they hunt an item down for you, you don't feel they're entitled to be paid for the service? Are you anti- car dealer and travel agent, too?

If I could actually support my family by buying and selling bats, I'd be doing it, too!

Quote Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate, if you send someone a want list and they hunt an item down for you, you don't feel they're entitled to be paid for the service? Are you anti- car dealer and travel agent, too?

If I could actually support my family by buying and selling bats, I'd be doing it, too!
    But if you tell me you need a lawn mower and I offer you one from Home Depot at a 25% mark-up, you're going to drive to the store and buy it for 25% less. It isn't like he ventured through the dark recesses of a volcanic crater to find it. I bet a Google search would have eventually, if not immediately, turned it up.

The bat on John's site comes with a PSA authentication letter but nowhere does it state it's graded a PSA10. Where did that come from?
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Quote Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post

Its one thing to say hey I know where I can get you one... its a whole nother thing to say youll sell something thats owned by someone else and not mention you dont actually own it.

No one wants lists floating around of stuff they own for sale.
    Ryan

NFL game used collector

I think I know who you're talking about. I'm not a huge fan, either. I know I've asked for providence in the past and received a tepid response that seemed to infer that I should be happy with their unwritten vouching for the generic-looking bat/item, based on their name being a known one in the industry. I got the sense of a rather inflated sense of self-importance combined with a lukewarm interest in the actual hobby compared to their interest in the almighty dollar.

If that's your thing, so be it. I definitely understand how business works and all of that jazz, but it's certainly not the type of individual I prefer to do business with on game-used stuff, and I understand how you feel, OP.

Quote Originally Posted by VanPoppelFan View Post
    I think I know who you're talking about. I'm not a huge fan, either. I know I've asked for providence in the past and received a tepid response that seemed to infer that I should be happy with their unwritten vouching for the generic-looking bat/item, based on their name being a known one in the industry. I got the sense of a rather inflated sense of self-importance combined with a lukewarm interest in the actual hobby compared to their interest in the almighty dollar.

If that's your thing, so be it. I definitely understand how business works and all of that jazz, but it's certainly not the type of individual I prefer to do business with on game-used stuff, and I understand how you feel, OP.
    That really sums it up. Again I know profit is what makes the world go round
    but this guy is really a piece of work. To be clear the seller said he may have some of the items I'm looking for so I gave him a list. I wasn't looking for him to find me stuff cuz I'm too lazy to search google. Jeff Scott as an example has sold me many items in the past but has also connected me with a seller of an item that I want free of charge. Good business.

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    The bat on John's site comes with a PSA authentication letter but nowhere does it state it's graded a PSA10. Where did that come from?

The "middleman" sent me a link to the PSA code lookup that identifies it as a psa 10.