Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Vintage Flip Sunglasses

Does anyone have any information about the vintage flip up/ down sunglasses worn in the 60s/70s...Does anybody own a pair? Who made them? where they good quality polarized glasses?...I do remember the equiptment guy run onto the field with a tray for the player to choose his preference....Jeff

Re: Vintage Flip Sunglasses

For those that took the time to read the post...I received them today...They are very sturdy and im sure, polarized....The flip down tab actually is a screw to remove/ replace the lens...If anybody cares...

I used to own a pair. Very good quality. Don't remember the mfg.

This website is about the whole concept:
    http://www.stack.com/a/baseball-sunglasses

I have a pair of "flip-down" sunglasses worn by Darren Lewis when he was with the Giants (1991 to 1995). The manufacturer is Tiger Eyes. I also have a pair that I used when I was playing amateur league baseball in the 1990s and 2000s, but those do not have a manufacturer listed anywhere on the frames. Both are well-made and appear to be polarized. For what it's worth, I could never get the hang of using them and they were uncomfortable on the bridge of my nose when I flipped them down while chasing a fly ball. It was much easier for me just to leave them down all the time, and I eventually switched to traditional sports sunglasses.

Mark Hayne
    gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for Darren Lewis game-worn items

Thanks Warren and Mark...I too was never fluid using them...Some claim that leaving them up and just tipping the brim was the proper way to use them...They are well made...