Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hybrid View

Re: Juan Iglesias and Joe Rivera- beware

Quote Originally Posted by Padres_98 View Post
    So you are making a riff about getting scammed and you knew it was possible that the bats would not be authentic.

Next time don't buy without bats being Authenticated!!!

End of Story. You live and learn. Move on
    Although I thought about not commenting on the post quoted above, I feel compelled to do so.

Obviously, not every item that is available in the secondary market is already authenticated. For whatever reason (maybe cost, etc), a seller may not want to have their items authenticated prior to selling them. If a buyer does not want to relegate themselves to buying only authenticated items (many buyers do not want to limit themselves) then they will inevitably run across items that are not already authenticated.

In this case, the buyer asked if the items could be returned they it did not pass authentication. This would be the equivalent of a warranty if you were buying an appliance from a store, etc. The reason a buyer gets a warranty is because there is a known possibility that something could be wrong with the product.

The buyer then paid to ship the bat to the authenticator and paid for the authentication under the stated condition that the item could be returned if it did not pass. Then, when they did not pass, the buyer was told basically to pound sand and that the items could not be returned even after they failed authentication.

I just have to say that I think your comments to "…live and learn" and "Move on" are not based on understanding the dynamics of the transaction. Or, if you did understand the dynamics then I'm guessing you didn't think it through before posting. To let sellers get away with this type of behavior would certainly not be something that would be good for the hobby and would open the door for other buyers to fall victim to the same selling tactics in the future.

Lastly, it is my understanding that there is another buyer who is a GUU member that had a similar situation with these sellers. I hope that GUU member posts here as well since this issue with the type of use on the bats the sellers have sold is clearly not an isolated incident.

-Chris
    Christopher Cavalier
    Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

I for one can say I will not be spending any more of my money with Juan. If you tell someone you will take a return and then flatly refuse, that's just not right. To me that is very unethical in my books.

I do not collect bats but from what I gather PSA is the top as far as grading bats. So if it fails PSA is that the end of the line ? I mean if the top company doesn't pass it that should be it. Bats should be returned no questions asked.

So you are making a riff about getting scammed and you knew it was possible that the bats would not be authentic.

You only buy bats that are authenticated?

One of the members posted about a Cabrera bat from Juan in another thread. Juan said it was a rookie gamer. Taube said it was a BP bat. MEARS said it was a 9.5. Looking at the knob, it looks like it wasn't written by Cabrera (doesn't match his signature inscription style from 2003), and the barrel was absolutely demolished without any blue transfers or much of what could be called seam impressions.

I'm still really curious--- do you only buy authenticated bats?

i searched getty images for at a minimum a style match for the bat, of which i found many. plus having previously purchased a similar item from the same person with no issue, i had no reason to believe that it would not pass. i am not complaining at all about what happened, and nothing i said would indicate that i was. cant win them all and i get that. i am telling other people of my experience with this seller and notifying other collectors to watch out. that is the whole purpose of this thread.