Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Is This A Truly Vintage Wilson Jersey ????

Was looking for any help,opinions, or advice about this jersey.

Is it a real 1985 Wilson jersey ?

Or a Mitchell and Ness with a Wilson tag placed on it ?

I can provide additional pictures of certain areas if needed.

Thank You !
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Re: Is This A Truly Vintage Wilson Jersey ????

I would say it is actually a Wilson jersey that was customized. It was a blank the he added Payton to.

Quote Originally Posted by kensica5 View Post
    I would say it is actually a Wilson jersey that was customized. It was a blank the he added Payton to.
    Really ? What indicates that in the pictures. I'm not doubting you, just trying to learn. Thanks !

Well for one I have seen this seller do it before. Number 2 is I am not 100% sure M&N ever did a Road Bears jersey. I have seen blank Road Bears Wilson jerseys for sale on eBay. Plus if M&N did do a Road Bears jersey there would have been neck tags removed and side tags removed. That is just my two cents that won't even be able to buy you a cup of coffee.

Heat pressed elements are done using wrong material.
    Wilson tag is something a Chinese sweatshop would use since it's not a very good copy.

The jersey itself may be correct but original tag is gone. I would have to feel the material to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by kensica5 View Post
    Well for one I have seen this seller do it before. Number 2 is I am not 100% sure M&N ever did a Road Bears jersey. I have seen blank Road Bears Wilson jerseys for sale on eBay. Plus if M&N did do a Road Bears jersey there would have been neck tags removed and side tags removed. That is just my two cents that won't even be able to buy you a cup of coffee.
    M&N did make 2 Walter Payton road jersey throwbacks. One commemorating the 1983 year with the GSH memorial patch on the shoulder and a 1985 version with GSH initials on the sleeve.

Neither looks like this...

The plot thickens

Banned

Thumbs up Re: Is This A Truly Vintage Wilson Jersey ????

Quote Originally Posted by Samets View Post
    Heat pressed elements are done using wrong material.
    Wilson tag is something a Chinese sweatshop would use since it's not a very good copy.

The jersey itself may be correct but original tag is gone. I would have to feel the material to tell.
    Agreed...that Wilson tag is not like what the Bears normally used in that era.

I just looked at a Doug Flutie (1986-87 home that also had an odd Wilson tag. It, too, was found lacking, due to NOB font inconsistencies.

Dave Miedema

Smile Re: Is This A Truly Vintage Wilson Jersey ????

Big thanks for all the replies. Especially Rusty (Samets) for his personal messages and great advice which I followed. It was definitely the right advice, being as it looks like I'm not going to get burned for the $500 I paid for this now. (thanks to my bank)

I never knew people went to such great lengths to make jerseys look like old Wilsons. Any additional information to help me and other collectors in the future would be much appreciated. From what I hear this seller (Chuck's Vintage Jerseys) has done this in the past. Any other Forum members who have seen or had similar dealings with him, please post a reply in this thread, so there's a record of it here. I actually tried to find past GUU threads about this seller before I bought this, and there was nothing. Hopefully we can change that now.

Really appreciate it, being a new member here, I feel greatly welcomed by the senior members of this board, and look forward to interacting with threads with all of you in the future.

Thanks !