Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Luke Appling Collection

I just acquired several items from one of Luke Appling's grandchildren. Included were: a 1949 Memphis Chickasaws road jersey (I assume worn by Appling when he managed in 1951); a 1967 Athletics home jersey w/ pants, undershirt and stirrups (the undershirt has Appling's #33, but I assume the jersey was worn by someone else during the spring of '68); a 1972 White Sox home jersey w/ pants and stirrups (made for Sam Ewing, but possibly worn by Hank Allen at the end of the season); a 1978 Braves home jersey w/ pants and stirrups (appears to be a photo match with Bob Horner's rookie jersey); and a late '80s Braves BP jersey of Appling's w/ home and road pants and stirrups.

Bats included three post-career pro models: 1962 A101 (1 of 6); 1962 A31 (1 of 1); and 1971 A80 (1 of 6). Also a late '60s S2 signed by Appling, and five fungoes: Indians, Dodgers, White Sox, a Bobby Cox w/ #6 on the knob, and one of Appling's from his Braves days w/ #74 on the knob.

Re: September 2016 Pickups

New game used jersey from 2012 vs the Dolphins

Re: Luke Appling Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Birdbats View Post
    I just acquired several items from one of Luke Appling's grandchildren. Included were: a 1949 Memphis Chickasaws road jersey (I assume worn by Appling when he managed in 1951); a 1967 Athletics home jersey w/ pants, undershirt and stirrups (the undershirt has Appling's #33, but I assume the jersey was worn by someone else during the spring of '68); a 1972 White Sox home jersey w/ pants and stirrups (made for Sam Ewing, but possibly worn by Hank Allen at the end of the season); a 1978 Braves home jersey w/ pants and stirrups (appears to be a photo match with Bob Horner's rookie jersey); and a late '80s Braves BP jersey of Appling's w/ home and road pants and stirrups.

Bats included three post-career pro models: 1962 A101 (1 of 6); 1962 A31 (1 of 1); and 1971 A80 (1 of 6). Also a late '60s S2 signed by Appling, and five fungoes: Indians, Dodgers, White Sox, a Bobby Cox w/ #6 on the knob, and one of Appling's from his Braves days w/ #74 on the knob.
    That's quite the haul, congrats! I especially love the Chicksaws jersey. Vintage Minor League Jerseys are truly under appreciated.