X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • STLHAMMER32
    • Sep 2009

Re: Frank Thomas Bat Hunt Auctions

Originally posted by WadeInBmore
    I'm not a Magglio collector so I couldn't say to be sure. I know that isn't Thomas markings. I've got over 30 Thomas bats in my collection (spanning his entire career from 1990-2008)...and none of them are like that. Also, Thomas wasn't a taped knob kind of hitter...so I've always stayed away from bats with that.

And I still haven't received a response from ANYONE at Hunts. My email went out to two different email addresses per their email us link.

-wade
    Wade. you have an awesome collection of Thomas gears. One of the best player collections and of a hall of famer, no less. MO makes sense since MAgs was a teammate but I've had a few of his bats and just never came across those characteristics either.

I thought it was strange that in the listing they mentioned that it has the MO or what appears to be and didn't conclude that the bat may have been used by someone else. It's certainly not a Thomas trait...

Comment

• twarman17
      • Oct 2013

Is the tape consistent with a Mags gamer? The 2000 era Mags bats I see online do not have that type of tape.

Comment

• Phil316
        • May 2013

I have seen that tape job on Bo Jackson bats before.

Comment

• twarman17
          • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Phil316
          I have seen that tape job on Bo Jackson bats before.
          Now that would be awesome! A Bryce Harper gamer I sold had same tape too. The 2000 Mags I see online does not have any tape. As the Thomas expert says he typically did not use tape. I did see a Thomas online with similar tape. I do not see any Mags with similar tape. Cannot find any bat with "MO" on knob. I cannot think of anything else this would mean. Mags probably would have written his number on the knob like other bats.

I will let everyone know what Hunt Auctions says about.

Comment

• danesei@yahoo.com
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by twarman17
            Now that would be awesome! A Bryce Harper gamer I sold had same tape too. The 2000 Mags I see online does not have any tape. As the Thomas expert says he typically did not use tape. I did see a Thomas online with similar tape. I do not see any Mags with similar tape. Cannot find any bat with "MO" on knob. I cannot think of anything else this would mean. Mags probably would have written his number on the knob like other bats.

I will let everyone know what Hunt Auctions says about.
            Just a thought... is it possible that it's:
            B
            O

as opposed to:
            MO?

Comment

• STLHAMMER32
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by danesei@yahoo.com
              Just a thought... is it possible that it's:
              B
              O

as opposed to:
              MO?

That would be quite a stretch....This bat is from 2000 so it's highly doubtful that Bo would have any association with this bat

Comment

• ndevlin
                • Mar 2008

An easy one--- not a Frank gamer. Ask for your money back

Comment

• twarman17
                  • Oct 2013

Spoke to Hunt Auctions today. The Hunt rep that I spoke to indicated that the White Sox stand behind the authenticity on the bat as used by Frank Thomas and that the bat came directly from the White Sox. Therefore, there is nothing Hunt will do on it.

I asked for someone from the White Sox to contact me.

Comment

• Nnunnari
                    Banned
                    • Sep 2006

Hunt should give you a refund. Who are the memorabilia experts, Hunt or the White Sox? The White Sox have no clue who used the bat. We collectors know that bat was used by another player along with possibly Frank at some point.

Comment

• twarman17
                      • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Nnunnari
                      Hunt should give you a refund. Who are the memorabilia experts, Hunt or the White Sox? The White Sox have no clue who used the bat. We collectors know that bat was used by another player along with possibly Frank at some point.
                      Based on my conversation with Hunt they did no independent evaluation of the bat even though Hunt provided a LOA (in addition to the White Sox LOA)...They just said that they are relying on the White Sox providing authenticity on it.

Comment

• staindsox
                        • Jun 2006

Sounds about right. I had a similar experience with this auction house and no longer bid with them.
                        Always looking for Jack Hannahan or St. Paul Saints gamers:

www.jackhannahan.webs.com

Comment

• Phil316
                          • May 2013

Of course you cannot do a charge back due to the fact they do not take credit cards. They don't take paypal either.

Note to buyers....PLEASE if you don't want any issues only buy from auction houses that accept credit cards. Buyers need to be protected.

So you are stuck with a bat that who knows who it was used by.

Comment

• Juicyfruit66
                            • May 2015

so based on HUNT's practices I could make a LOA saying a bat was used by Babe Ruth and they'd sell it as such and claim that the buyer would have to deal with me for refund?

Comment

• twarman17
                              • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Juicyfruit66
                              so based on HUNT's practices I could make a LOA saying a bat was used by Babe Ruth and they'd sell it as such and claim that the buyer would have to deal with me for refund?
                              No one from white sox has contacted me so I assume I don't get the opportunity to deal with the sox. Hunt should not have given a LOA on this if they were relying strictly on the white sox. Also, buyer beware dealing with them and assume you have no recourse after the auction so do all your homework before. I should been more careful I guess. Having said all that, it's still a nice bat for $475

Comment

Working...