Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Jose Fernandez horrible news

TREMENDOUS
    Maybe they read the suggestion to do just that in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by carbonrosa View Post
    I just received an email from MLB Auctions about Jose Fernandez's jersey:

Hello,

This email is in regards to your bid on MLB Auctions Listing # 1356353 - Jose Fernandez Jersey - Vs. Nationals 9/20 - 12 Strikeouts - 16th Win of Season. Due to the recent tragic events surrounding Jose Fernandez, we will be removing this item from the auction and the Marlins will be giving the jersey to the Fernandez family. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you,

Gregory Novick
    E-Commerce Manager, Authentics & Hard Goods
    MLB Advanced Media, L.P.

Common sense and compassion.

Quote Originally Posted by KGoldin View Post
    TREMENDOUS
    Maybe they read the suggestion to do just that in this thread?
    It would be nice but I highly doubt they read this thread and decided to act upon our concerns. They know the significance that jersey possess since it was his last jersey worn during a start and how he told his teammates that was the best game he ever pitched. If they would of sold that jersey and the press caught wind of the transaction, the Marlins would have had such a bad P.R. problem on there hands. It was nice they gave it to the family. I thought them keeping it while displaying it in the stadium and telling his story for all the fans to see would of been a nice gesture as well.

I was being sarcastic about them doing it because of this thread!
    just glad they did it

A ESPN report said that MLB still plans to sell the jersey at a later time. And that came from a MLB spokemen.

So
    Not sure if they're keeping it or selling it.

The article did NOT SAY ANYTHING about selling at a later date. I read this as meaning they will continue to sell Fernandez jerseys..ie replica...

Bourne said the league has decided that Fernandez jerseys will still be sold. The league's portion of its royalty will be donated to a yet-to-be-determined charity.

Quote Originally Posted by truvalue123 View Post
    The article did NOT SAY ANYTHING about selling at a later date. I read this as meaning they will continue to sell Fernandez jerseys..ie replica...

Bourne said the league has decided that Fernandez jerseys will still be sold. The league's portion of its royalty will be donated to a yet-to-be-determined charity.

You're correct. I misunderstood what he meant.

I figured most of the high bids came right after the news..... People just trying to make a $...

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
    I figured most of the high bids came right after the news..... People just trying to make a $...
    I'd disagree. Being honest, I think if my favorite player died suddenly and his final jersey was already in an auction, I'd probably bid on it. Not to resell it, but because it would be a very meaningful piece to have in my collection (I rarely sell anything). Not the same as people listing their items for sale on eBay at high prices (same day he died no less!) or auction houses pulling in Fernandez items for their next catalog.

That said, I think a far better outcome for the family to get this jersey. MLB got it right this time . . .

I have no idea if this message I sent to one of my contact on Sunday evening had anything to do with this subsequent decision, nor do I much care. Just want to post this hear to echo the sentiments of the Marlins and applaud the organization for this thoughtful decision regarding Fernandez's final start jersey. RIP JF16

Name:  image.png
Views: 327
Size:  196.1 KB