Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

World Series Baseball

eBay item number:172391020928

I have no doubt in my mind that this ball was, in fact, used in game 3 of the World Series. What I don't understand is that it has already reached more than 200 dollars with 16 bids, and more than 4 days left (as of posting). There is no way of ever knowing any of the game details of this particular baseball, and even if there was, there isn't really any way of proving any of it. Am I crazy for thinking this is crazy?

Re: World Series Baseball

Sold for $1583. Wow.

Well, it's the only one to hit the market. I'm sure if any one here bought one, they would of posted it. It is very strange how none have popped up on MLB auctions. I'm guessing a lot of the players wanted to keep them, especially balls from game seven but you would of thought at least baseballs from games 1-6 would of been auctioned by now. Each games 1st pitch came out of play and last year thoughs pitches were sold immediately. The Indians GU contact over in Cleveland must be sick of me constantly emailing him with questions about if he's getting any baseballs. During game seven I emailed him asking if he obtained Dexter Fowler's first inning homerun and he just emailed me back today saying no.

I noticed the ball is back on eBay. Perhaps the winning bidder didn't realize the ball was not authenticated?

Item number 172398402119.

MLB has the inventory for the majority of the balls. Based on previous years, one can assume 35-50 game used balls were authenticated per game.

Some players and coaches kept both authenticated and unauthenticated balls from the WS. Indians and Cubs organizations did get some of the balls, no idea how many each got though.

MLB is going to be very selective how they go about selling the inventory, likely will test the market shortly by listing both high end (K's, hits, 1st pitch, final out balls) and low end ( foul tips and pitch in the dirt) to see where pricing will lie. $2000+ for authenticated pitches in the dirt seem reasonable to assume right now.

This right hear is why I chose to be a Rays fan 18 years ago. Pay a fraction of the price for game used items compared to marquee teams. Ben Zobrist Rays game used jersey = $250, Ben Zobrist Cubs game used jersey = $1500+ right now.

Well, we'll probably find out in the coming weeks because I contacted MLB Auctions the other day and they just got back to me saying:
    Hi Devin,
    I don't have an exact date yet, but we hope items will be available starting next week.

Thanks,
    MLB Auctions

Did anyone see Rizzo give the last out baseball to Tom Ricketts? You could clearly see the MLB Holo on it. Anthony even went as far to say the baseball was worth in the 3 million dollar range! I contacted MLB and the Cubs asking about baseballs myself and was told they will be available soon. I think 2K for a pitch in the dirt is very reasonable considering the history involved. I hope there's one left for me!!

Quote Originally Posted by carbonrosa View Post
    Well, it's the only one to hit the market. I'm sure if any one here bought one, they would of posted it. It is very strange how none have popped up on MLB auctions. I'm guessing a lot of the players wanted to keep them, especially balls from game seven but you would of thought at least baseballs from games 1-6 would of been auctioned by now. Each games 1st pitch came out of play and last year thoughs pitches were sold immediately. The Indians GU contact over in Cleveland must be sick of me constantly emailing him with questions about if he's getting any baseballs. During game seven I emailed him asking if he obtained Dexter Fowler's first inning homerun and he just emailed me back today saying no.
    A couple of days before the series began, the game used manager from Progressive sent out a mass email stating that MLB would be taking everything other than the caps and jerseys. They weren't even able to keep the locker room nameplates. MLB has to bank on it themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Popinjaysnamesir View Post
    I noticed the ball is back on eBay. Perhaps the winning bidder didn't realize the ball was not authenticated?

Item number 172398402119.
    I noticed it was re-listed as well. I doubt it had anything to do with the lack of authentication. More likely that some idiot bid it up and didn't have the money to pay.

I contacted this seller while the bidding was very low. He told who hit the ball and what inning it was from. Also said he actually had TWO baseballs from the game, one from earlier in the game and he would be keeping that one. I wonder if the second listing is for the other baseball? Seller did not what so ever sound like someone who had anything to do with collecting.
    Also, while in the Indians gift shop, I overheard them saying quite a few times that MLB took all World Series items and that they would have access to none.