Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

1936 Football photo: Notre Dame vs Navy

I need help identifying the colors that each team was wearing during a game in 1936. Here's what I know/don't know:

ND helmet: mustard with black stripes
    ND jersey: probably dark green, as they were known to pull out the green if their blue clashed with the opposing team, or for effect. There are no color photos of them wearing the green jersey, but I would think that the jersey 'tone' in any positive-i.d. b&w pics with green jerseys would allow i.d. of the green as normal green, emerald or dark green. I have viewed a 'color' film of the 1939 game against Iowa where Notre Dame changed jerseys at half-time (presumably changing to green with white shoulder yoke), and while you cannot determine color, the new jersey looks just as dark.

ND pants: gold, probably shiny
    ND shoulder yoke: white

Navy pants: probably light gold, but unsure
    Navy jerseys: probably Navy
    Navy helmets: Dark, but no idea as to color(s). Part is probably navy, but could be two colors

The goal is to create a color painting from this photo, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: 1936 Football photo: Notre Dame vs Navy

Haha. Just did a search and found the last time anyone here responded to one of my posts, other than one (just one) classified, was in February of 2015.

I'm just aiming for one response every 18 months - this would be a great one to start things off.

Notre Dame looks kelly green to me here. What's really interesting is, the numerical identifiers on the back of those ND helmets. I've seen a handful of leather helmets with the cross on the top auctioned off as Notre Dame but none of them had the numbers on the back to my recollection.

Quote Originally Posted by genius View Post
    Notre Dame looks kelly green to me here. What's really interesting is, the numerical identifiers on the back of those ND helmets. I've seen a handful of leather helmets with the cross on the top auctioned off as Notre Dame but none of them had the numbers on the back to my recollection.
    Sorry for the late response - I REALLY appreciate your reply, but I tried to take a break from the internet...and failed.

That's a real good point regarding the numbers on the helmet. I once bought a batch of old leather helmets that contained what appeared to be a late 50's-early 60's white plastic helmet. It turned out to have two layers of paint over the original and was in fact a professional model leather helmet from the last year they made leather helmets. It was Notre Dame's color beneath the two layers of paint, but had a dark navy blue stripe. When I found that Notre Dame used that exact model in the late 1950's (they were the last college team to use leather helmets) I thought I had struck gold, but then found a documented example that in fact had a black stripe. I sent pictures to a large auction house and they told me that they planned to auction it as a Notre Dame helmet. I refused to give it to them, and sold it instead on ebay. Game-used fraud is rampant with the auction houses, which is why I have always been a fan of Ken's photo-matching his game-used items.

In any case, thanks for your reply - I just finished a different painting and will be starting on this one fairly soon.