Quote Originally Posted by Popinjaysnamesir View Post
So, it's a free market when the seller does what they want, but not when the buyer brings the situation to the attention of eBay? It's not hurting their account if no rules have been violated. You are correct. eBay won't care.

It's doubtful I'll buy anything from you, but if I leave you negative feedback every time will that be another example of free market behavior? No. There are rules. When we bid, we have an expectation of good faith.

If there had been a "buy it now" for $120, I would have.
yes, in both respects either individual is exercising their right in a free market, but there is a fundamental difference between a seller that owns an item doing what they want with it, and someone complaining after the fact because they didnt get what they want. no one stopped you from making an offer to purchase the item you wanted - if i want an item bad enough, i try and get it before the auction ends because i dont like to leave things to chance. get what you can while you can before its gone. further, when you auction an item on ebay and there are bids on it, if you end it early, you are charged the final value fee on the price it ends for, regardless of whether a transaction is consummated or not. buyer took what they thought was the best price and should not be knocked for it.

put yourself in the sellers position - if you are auctioning off an item, and someone offers you well above what you think the item is going to end for, you arent going to end the auction early and take it? i have to imagine that the overwhelming majority of people take the $ and run.