Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Re: Book question for Max and others

Max. I do a lot of digging for vintage sports items. My job in sales takes me to many shops, shows, and flea markets. I almost never find nice old baseball books, let alone those with dust jackets. Do you believe they are exceedingly rare? I love the graphics on many examples (your second base slone is beautiful). I hate to speak in terms of dollars since that isn't what I (we) are in this for, but they may be a good investment considering scarcity. What are your thought? Are there a lot of collectors out there? Any reliable value reference guides? I have a nice copy of Frank Graham's The Brooklyn Dodgers with the dj. What value would you place on it? Thanks for your feedback.

Mike H

Mike, Graham's book can be bought on Abebooks for between $100-200 depending on condition. There is one on there listed as VG with VG dustjacket for $125.

I see this book every once in a while usually lotted up with other team history books from the 1940's in Mastro and other auction house auctions.

That is amazing to me. My $5.00 purchase is looking pretty good

Thanks for the picture of the Courtney dust jacket Max. That was nice. I may have to try to pick up a copy of the book. Charles Courtney was a rowing (coach) legend in the late 1800s and early 1900s winning more than a dozen collegiate championships. I have many programs picturing him and his crews. Thanks again.

The Graham Brooklyn Dodgers book is a common title in the Putnam series, and went through a number of printings. You'll be able to find a very good copy in dust jacket for less than $100 on ebay.

Although none of the Putnam titles are hard to find, the Baltimore Orioles and the Washington Senators titles are the hardest, and most expensive.

Max