Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: My collection on the wall. Is sun gonna ruin them?

Fluorescent lighting works by (skipping a few steps) creating ultraviolet radiation and then using fluorescence (hence the name) to convert it into the spectrum we can see. Some ultraviolet radiation is emitted though.

Guys...LED lighting is still untested and may not be as harmless as we all think, from all that I have read. Incadescent bulbs are still the best and least abusive to collections.

Read this link:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...h-C-zanne.html

Get some blinds and window coverings. Do not leave the lights on unless you are down there enjoying your collection and you should be fine.
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Quote Originally Posted by sorklora View Post
    Guys...LED lighting is still untested and may not be as harmless as we all think, from all that I have read. Incadescent bulbs are still the best and least abusive to collections.

Read this link:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...h-C-zanne.html

That article, and other published at the time, are misleading, and their conclusions were not included in the journal articles as they would not have passed peer review for multiple reasons. Its to much information for me to go into here but I will include a few links that discuss the topic in depth.

How Many Light Bulbs Does It Take to Discolor a van Gogh? - ARTNEWS

Important update on LED lighting! - The Australian Institute for the Conservation of Cultural Materials

LED Lighting: Fact and Fiction - Connecting to Collections

Museums Are Starting To Use LED Lights To Preserve Their Paintings
    - Tech Times

A few years ago, the Smithsonian held a symposium on the use of LED's in museums. There is about three hours of presentations by conservators, lighting engineers and designers et cetera on their youtube page.

Summary

Gallery Illumination: LED Lighting in Today's Museums - Smithsonian American Art Museum

One of the talks not listed was given by Jim Druzik, Senior Scientist at the Getty Conservation Institute, and Dr. Michael Royer, a Light Engineer at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. It directly deals with the Van Gogh painting.

How safe is Van Gogh’s Sunflowers to LED Lighting? Quite safe, actually!
    (transcript in last post)

Well 64SHEA that is all very enLIGHTening.

Quote Originally Posted by TBM View Post
    Well 64SHEA that is all very enLIGHTening.
    well said!

Quote Originally Posted by 64SHEA View Post
    That article, and other published at the time, are misleading, and their conclusions were not included in the journal articles as they would not have passed peer review for multiple reasons. Its to much information for me to go into here but I will include a few links that discuss the topic in depth.

How Many Light Bulbs Does It Take to Discolor a van Gogh? - ARTNEWS

Important update on LED lighting! - The Australian Institute for the Conservation of Cultural Materials

LED Lighting: Fact and Fiction - Connecting to Collections

Museums Are Starting To Use LED Lights To Preserve Their Paintings
    - Tech Times

A few years ago, the Smithsonian held a symposium on the use of LED's in museums. There is about three hours of presentations by conservators, lighting engineers and designers et cetera on their youtube page.

Summary

Gallery Illumination: LED Lighting in Today's Museums - Smithsonian American Art Museum

One of the talks not listed was given by Jim Druzik, Senior Scientist at the Getty Conservation Institute, and Dr. Michael Royer, a Light Engineer at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. It directly deals with the Van Gogh painting.

How safe is Van Gogh’s Sunflowers to LED Lighting? Quite safe, actually!
    (transcript in last post)

Wow, great info, thanks! It makes it tough when there are differing opinions out there, but it looks like LED lights are for sure better than fluorescent, but I still trust incandescent more. I don't use any high powered bulbs, so the heat effect is not an issue like it might be in a museum or something.