Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: What Defines 'Game Used' These Days?

So what is the term for a jersey that a starting pitcher wears on his non-starting days, just sitting in the dugout?

Tough subject. I personally don't think anything should be called game used unless it was actually used on field during a MAJOR LEAGUE baseball game. I only care about baseball which is why I'm using MLB as an example. If a player who was on the bench the whole game, like a utility player or starting pitcher on his non pitching day, or a coach, these things must not be deemed "game used". I don't even like minor league things being signed game used, but it's a tiny but more acceptable. I would like minor league stuff to be specified, personally. Nothing from a locker room, or dugout, bullpen, front office, parking lot etc should be classified GU. It cheapens the entire sport & every team that does it. Greedily squeezing MORE money out of us fans, who sincerely love the game.

Team Issued. No question.

Quote Originally Posted by R_Aaronson View Post
    So what is the term for a jersey that a starting pitcher wears on his non-starting days, just sitting in the dugout?

I honestly don't understand why it's so difficult for people to understand the definition of game used. With two outs and a man on first, a player comes up to bat with a brand new bat, doesn't receive one pitch, because the pitcher threw out the man on first for the third out. The bat is a game used bat.
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

We all have our definitions. I consider an item available at a game for official use in a game to be "game-ready". That would apply equally to the uniform of a substitute who doesn't come in, as to a new ball in the umpire's bucket that isn't thrown in.

I regard "team-used" as something used to help with a game, but not required by the rules. This would include practice balls, as well as the dugout lineup cards ( not the official batting-order cards, which are game-used because they're official). A ball that's used in a game, then later for BP, goes through all three definitions in time.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerzone79 View Post
    Team Issued. No question.
    agreed. or "game worn" which should have a different definition than "game used". the pitcher in this example did technically "wear" it during a game, but it wasnt "used" during a game. to be used, to me, the item must actually be used during a game by a player.

Quote Originally Posted by R_Aaronson View Post
    What about "player worn" for that particular situation?

Just because I view issued as something prepped for a player but it never reached his hands/back.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinLakesPark View Post
    I know we have all talked about it, I know we all have our own opinions, and god knows the players have their own opinions on defining "Game Used"; however this one gave me a good laugh in the airport yesterday. So add your own caption here to the following photo, how is this chair game used?
    Doesn't it depend on how one defines the word "game?"

Like the word "baseball" has two distinct meanings - the sphere used in games & the name of the game itself - "game" has at least two meanings as well. There is the baseball game that is played on the field, and there is the game of baseball, the broader use of the word "game." If the player meant to use "game" in this broader context, meaning that the chair, like everything else in the stadium, i.e., seats, signs, flags, etc., are all part of the game of baseball, wouldn't it be appropriate to say it was "game used?" However, it is very unlikely that the player thought of the word "game" in those broad terms. And most of the collecting community would not use "game" in that way either when using the term "game used."

Aside from different opinions on what different terms mean, this thread points to a lack of terminology to categorize artifacts that are part of the game of baseball, but that were not used in a game. To call a chair used in the locker room game used make as much sense as calling an equipment bag game used, but what should we call them? Memorabilia would be too generic. Team or club used? Player used? Stadium used? As in, a chair could be either team or club or player used, an equipment bag could be player used, while signs or seats could be stadium or club used. Can one of these terms be used to describe all of the artifacts that are not considered "game used?" Perhaps team or club used?

Quote Originally Posted by Jags Fan Dan View Post
    Just because I view issued as something prepped for a player but it never reached his hands/back.
    +1
    While there has always been discussions on the differing terms, it seems that over the years there has been a consensus with regards to the term "Issued" (such as "Team Issued", "Game Issued", or "Player Issued"). As Dan stated, it has been recognized as meaning an item prepped for a player but never actually being used/worn by the player. Also, I always considered an item described as "Game Ready"to have the same meaning as "Issued" - it was prepped for the player for use but was never actually used/worn.

For me, it doesn't matter that much whether a player participated in the game as long as he dressed out, and as long as I understand that before making the purchase. Starting pitchers who are not pitching that day or subs that don't get into the game are easy to figure out, but what if a reliever warms up for an inning in the bullpen but never gets called on to pitch? And what if a player is called on to pinch hit and is called back when the other team makes a pitching change? What about the place kicker who only gets on the field for one play, but the kick is nullified due to a penalty and they end up punting (in this scenario, they get shut out, and he does not handle the kickoff duties)?

I liked 3arod13's bat example. I went through that scenario a few years ago on this Forum in an example of how a batter can come to the plate 4 times in a game using the same bat yet not put any game use on the bat. It might not show any game use, but I agree that it is game used.

At the end of the day, the most important thing to keep in mind is that the various terms have different meanings for different collectors. So before laying down your hard-earned money, it is best to have a meeting of the minds to be sure that you are on the same page as the seller with regards to the description and terminology.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net