Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Thinking of selling of card collection to fund my white whale.

Quote Originally Posted by TigersCubs84 View Post
    What happens if you sell your cards, which will take some time, and then someone else has bought your jersey?
    That's something to think about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I did the same thing myself roughly 12 years ago. I personally don't regret it at all. For me the hobby lost complete touch with its core customers, kids. Prices are insane for a pack of cards as people chase 1 of 1's and the like. The one thing you see GU hobbyists complain about a lot is how much stuff is entering the market on yearly basis. Reminiscent of the card boom of the late 80's early 90's which totally ruined my future plans of being one of the richest men on Earth . I still think of it like this... sure there were numerous Kris Bryant jerseys sold at auction last year and the number of his jerseys entering the market this year will surely out number last year and so and so forth. Yet each one of those jerseys is still unique. Each one is tied to a specific time and place. Each one has its own story. I do not feel you get that same connection with cards. This is all just my humble opinion but if it's your white whale and its within reach then I'd do whatever it takes to get it. You can always get your cards back maybe not at the same $$ but they will always be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigley2010 View Post
    I did the same thing myself roughly 12 years ago. I personally don't regret it at all. For me the hobby lost complete touch with its core customers, kids. Prices are insane for a pack of cards as people chase 1 of 1's and the like. The one thing you see GU hobbyists complain about a lot is how much stuff is entering the market on yearly basis. Reminiscent of the card boom of the late 80's early 90's which totally ruined my future plans of being one of the richest men on Earth . I still think of it like this... sure there were numerous Kris Bryant jerseys sold at auction last year and the number of his jerseys entering the market this year will surely out number last year and so and so forth. Yet each one of those jerseys is still unique. Each one is tied to a specific time and place. Each one has its own story. I do not feel you get that same connection with cards. This is all just my humble opinion but if it's your white whale and its within reach then I'd do whatever it takes to get it. You can always get your cards back maybe not at the same $$ but they will always be there.
    Could not agree more. Very well worded. Cards to a much lesser extent are fun for me (there are some really cool ones in the marketplace), but I'm GU all the way as of 4-5 years ago. To your point, each item has its own story - big or small - and that beats cards coming off a press every single day.

Cool Re: Thinking of selling of card collection to fund my white whale.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I first started collecting cards around a decade ago and was as instantly infatuated with patch cards because of all the cool colors. Then I learned about complete game worn jerseys. I could have the whole jersey with the entire patches/nameplate/tags and not just the tiny patch windows limited on a card?? I agree with what others have mentioned that companies are making too many versions of cards. A regular player's jersey card is almost worthless nowadays. It was also a detractor when controversies popped up like cards not actually containing game worn/used material. I love that i know that a purchase is actually game worn. I also love that each jersey has its own story and that with documentation and some homework, I can be confident in a gamer's authenticity.

I haven't picked up any single cards in a while and have pretty much completely switched to only gamers now. I'm slowly selling my cards and have no regret getting rid of these pieces of cardboard I used to treasure although I do plan on keeping some of my favorite/meaningful cards.

The problem with moving a card collection quickly is that you have to sell them for pennies on the dollar if you want to move them fast... If one has decent credit, they might consider taking a low-interest loan to pay for the white whale, then sell the cards in a way where they won't be just giving them away...

An example of this happened to me recently... I acquired a large collection of locomotive/train route DVDs (yes, that's a thing), and would up selling a group of 20 for around $100... It was nice to unload 20 of them in one auction, but the ones I'm listing individually are selling for $12 to $18 each. From this point forward I'm sticking to listing them as singles, and when they sell they sell.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Banned

Angry Re: Thinking of selling of card collection to fund my white whale.

Quote Originally Posted by commando View Post
    The problem with moving a card collection quickly is that you have to sell them for pennies on the dollar if you want to move them fast... If one has decent credit, they might consider taking a low-interest loan to pay for the white whale, then sell the cards in a way where they won't be just giving them away...

An example of this happened to me recently... I acquired a large collection of locomotive/train route DVDs (yes, that's a thing), and would up selling a group of 20 for around $100... It was nice to unload 20 of them in one auction, but the ones I'm listing individually are selling for $12 to $18 each. From this point forward I'm sticking to listing them as singles, and when they sell they sell.
    Very true...most dealers and shops aren't paying squat for cards these days. I was in a Chicago area card shop a while back, and the owner told me that he was paying 15% of Beckett prices for cards, and (supposedly), they "were flying in the door".

Dave Miedema

What sports cards are you selling if you don't mind me asking....lately ive been missing my old card collection , because like a lot of guys I sold it to fund my jersey collection. Anyhow I kind of went backwards and sold off some items to put together a 1960 Topps set...love it!
    Ebay seller: mancaveauctions

Collecting Marlins Game Used jerseys, Jeff Conine,
    250 HR / 250 SB Club Members.

I guess it would depend on how much you want the jersey and how much do you value your cards...if they are vintage cards, anything pre-1970s and graded a decent grade, they are going nowhere but up in price as most stuff has doubled lately. If those are the cards you have, I would make sure and try and get max value and not just do a fire sale as the vintage graded are so few in nice condition. I've pretty much stopped collecting cards, but my vintage graded will stay with me until I really need the money.

Quote Originally Posted by bdeol44 View Post
    Thanks for the replies, i'm not going to sell my entire collection, I will keep my top 10 cards or something to that extent.
    If you're looking at a specific item (time limited to acquire), as opposed to a general item (multiple choices on the market), you might want to flip your position on that. Selling the bottom 98% of your collection will take a lot of time and likely result in you getting about 5-8 percent of their market value due to the fire sale aspect. If you sell cards from the top-10, you might have to sell only one or two of them to get the item you want, as you'll be able to get top dollar on popular items.

As a card collector first, game used and memorabilia guy second I have to tell you to hold off. No idea what you have in your card collection but I know for myself if I ever sold regardless of paying a premium I could never obtain my collection again. An item that you want on the game used side I would assume is obtainable again if you saved to have both. Certainly some outliers but usually there are more to be had. Just my .02.

Would like to hear what you had, don't see many card collectors here. At least I haven't in my brief moments on here.