Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thinking of selling of card collection to fund my white whale.

Hey guys, been kinda torn making a tough decision. I've always wanted a game used jersey of a particular player, and finally I've tracked one down to my liking. (photo match, loa etc all checks out)

Now in order to buy this white whale I have to sell 95% of my collection. I'm pretty ok with doing this but it's kinda of hard to sell cards you've hunted down which took forever to find.

I'm sure I'm not alone when it comes a to decision like this. Please feel free to chime in your opinions would be appreciated. Thanks as always fellas.

Re: Thinking of selling of card collection to fund my white whale.

Who's the player ?

Post a link to the jersey or give out the contact info of the seller so we can snake it from you, that will solve your problem!

I did the same thing when I was collecting nothing but Juan Gonzalez cards and was later introduced for the first time to game used memorabilia. I sold a lot of my cards, but kept a few I really liked. I had no regrets in doing it. And once you obtain the jersey, you will feel the same. Good Luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

On a serious note, one center piece to a collection trumps mountains of cards or lesser items as you are better able to display and enjoy the one significant piece.

I have mixed feelings about this personally because I did this exact thing 5 years ago. I got "bored" with cards and was getting more into game used so I sold pretty much all my collection (with the exception of unsellable low end stuff) to fund my game used collection. I dunno, it's kind of a mixed bag for me. I made out pretty well, but a lot of the cards I sold (MJ 90's, Lebron rookies, Penny 90's inserts) I'll never really be able to get back since they've jumped in price sooo dramatically. Also my biggest regret was selling the one card that was my "dream card" for 20 years, the 86 Fleer MJ which I was finally able to get and it was graded BGS 7.5. I'd probably have to pay at least double that now if I wanted to get that one back. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to sound greedy or anything, without selling that stuff, I wouldn't have the game used collection I have today, but since I've gotten back into card collecting I do miss owning those cards so just make sure you totally willing to give it up. If you are, then go for it for sure!

Take it from my 68-year-old mind: Don't be too quick to part with things from your past. I discarded, or didn't try to save, lots of things in my youth that years later I wish I'd kept. As time went on, I came to value them more as things that had been an important part of my life.

Surely there are other ways to raise the money.

What I did when I started to feel nostalgic after selling off all my cards was instead of buying them back I just went online and downloaded pictures of the front and back of all the ones I had. I don't have the "value" but I have the same experience in owning them and looking at them now.

Thanks for the replies, i'm not going to sell my entire collection, I will keep my top 10 cards or something to that extent.

What happens if you sell your cards, which will take some time, and then someone else has bought your jersey?