Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Calling Baltimore Colts Collectors - What Is This?

Hi Collectors,

I love classic durene football jerseys, and that's exactly what this is. Manufactured by Wilson, it features their tagging circa 1967-73 (thanks to the BTPH guide, as always). This long-sleeved, heavy shirt weighs almost a pound and a half. Colts wideout Jimmy Orr signed the shirt, and wore this number from 1961 through 1970.

As far as I can tell, the Colts didn't use this style of numeric font on their sleeves during this era. All the photos I've seen have skinnier sleeve numbers, and the number "2" always seems to have a flat bottom.

So, any ideas? Salesman's sample or practice jersey? Something else? Thank you, everyone!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Re: Calling Baltimore Colts Collectors - What Is This?

Cool shirt.

Only a guess, but a chance that It isn't a Colts jersey (maybe high school or college) Very popular team colors. Maybe other collectors have some thing to add.

Could be a Colts shirt, as they didn't have NOBs to a bout 1969-70.

The Colts wore MacGregor jerseys in the early part of the 1960s and were wearing Sand Knit from the latter part of the 1960s through the early 1970s. I am not aware of the Colts using Wilson during the era that this particular style of tagging was used, but anything is possible, and I certainly do not have examples from each season that Orr was with the Colts.

As you pointed out, the number font doesn't look quite right, and as Warren pointed out, the Colts did not add names-on-back until 1970. Further, if it was worn in 1969, an outline of the NFL 50th Anniversary patch is typically easily discernible on the left shoulder.

Hope this is helpful.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange

Thank you, guys... I appreciate the insights and agree with the opinions... Not a Colts gamer, but definitely a beautiful display piece... I will price it accordingly! Best wishes to all -- Anthony
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

I have a problem with the Wilson tag. It's not right.

Samets,

The Wilson tag probably looks a bit off because the "42" appears to be stamped on the jersey instead of being stitched as seen in the first photo below. Everything else is correct about the tag.

Back in that era, it was typical to see the sizes stitched on the tag up to size 46. Anything above a size 46 was blank, and the size was often written into the blank space by hand (see second photo below).

This is the first time that I have seen a Wilson football jersey from that era with the size stamped on the tag, but my guess is that there are others out there.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Mark,

The reason it looks odd is that it's clearly not a stitched Wilson tag. It kinda looks like something Wilson did in the late 80's and early 90's...

Your examples are right on the money as the correct type.

Samets,

There are printed variations of the Wilson tag from that era where the Wilson lettering, vertical line, and size number are not stitched. See the below photo that I borrowed from the Wilson Tag Primer in GUU Forums at this link http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ead.php?t=8660

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Mark: No doubt about printed variations. The tag itself appears plastic like the ones Wilson produced in the late 80's.

Commando: Can you please post a better picture of the tag in question?

At this point it's an educational discussion.

Rusty,

Take a close look at the third photo in the opening post by Anthony. To my eyes, it looks like the typical cloth style patch that Wilson used. Three of the corners are curling, especially the top left. To get a better look, copy the photo and put it in a Word document which can be blown up quite a bit while retaining clarity.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net