Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1986 Tony Gwynn Padres Rawlings Home Jersey

I have concerns with the 1986 Tony Gwynn Padres Home Jersey that is currently in Goldin Auctions. I have contacted Ken and MEARS has been called. The issue I have is Rawlings did not manufacture the Padres jerseys that year. When I brought up this fact it was communicated to me that, “. . . . 1986 photograph of Gwynn with the RAK patch and the Rawlings logo is on the mears LOA. That is indisputable evidence of this fact.”. Unfortunately, the photos represented in the MEARS LOA prove otherwise.

The bottom photo of the first page shows a supposed photo of Gwynn in 1986. No RAK on sleeve.
    Name:  gwynn1.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  100.0 KB
    The Second shows another photo of Gwynn supposedly wearing a 1986 Rawlings sleeve tag with the opposite sleeve cropped out.
    Name:  Gwynn2.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  64.6 KB
    The third photo is posted in the Goldin Auctions and shows the same photo MEARS used minus the cropped sleeve. No RAK on sleeve.
    Name:  Gwynn3.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  213.4 KB
    I have discussed this with fellow Padres and Tony Gwynn collectors and feel I have done my due diligence. I do not believe this is “indisputable evidence” and brings to light more questions than answers.
    R. C. Walker
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

treborreklaw@hotmail.com

Re: 1986 Tony Gwynn Padres Rawlings Home Jersey

from Troy Kinunen of mears in response to this thread
    he emailed me to post

the image of the reverse was meant to illustrate the font and the arch. I never intended it to be the same shot as the shirt we examined.

also, the full photo of Gwynn with the Rawlings logo was not cropped to hide anything. The image shows 5 sleeve stripes. The actual shirt has 6 stripes before you can see the RAK logo, so the shirt in the 1986 dated photo was taken at an angle where y ou cannot see the 6th stripe or the RAK patch. Troy

From Ken Goldin
    DO you think I need this aggravation? I'm running a multi million $ auction, and this is a tiny item. I NEVER want to hear someone has a question in our auction and always address it immediately , as you all know. I don't like reading someone doesn't like it. However I got it from a great source, my consignor was an executive at a trading card company who received it from Gwynn's agent. I sent it to MEARS who awarded it their highest grade of MEARS A10. For me to immediately pull it under the above circumstances is unfair to my consignor and any of you consigning under the situation above would feel the same way.
    there are nearly 3 weeks prior to the end of the auction and this will continue to be looked at and I will ask MEARS to reaffirm its findings, which it explained in detailed in their LOA .

Quote Originally Posted by KGoldin View Post
    DO you think I need this aggravation? I'm running a multi million $ auction, and this is a tiny item.
    Completely understand the large amount of items auction houses have to deal with, but I take offense to your comment that "this is a tiny item" implying that it isn't as important as big $$ items. No matter what the value is, everything should be treated the same and is just as important!

Here's a tiny item that ran in one of your auctions that wasn't authentic. In your auction of 29 October 2016, item #863, I did a simple search for 1996 MLB All Star Game and found video of the entire game. In this game, Arod only had one at bat as a pinch hitter in the 7th inning. As you can clearly see in the attached picture, he wore One Blue and One Red Rawlings Wristband and a Rawlings Batting Glove, not the ALL STAR gloves in #863. A simple and quick internet search found this video. So as you can see, EVERYTING MATTERS no matter what the $$$ value is.

This is why we all do what we do in this hobby to keep it safe. Yes, it's not popular with many when things like this are pointed out. Completely understand the extra time and effort it takes. But it's not to make your life miserable. It's to keep the hobby safe.

My recommendation would be to not make comments like that out of frustration, but to just address the issue. However, I do understand your frustration, as you have to trust those who consign the items. So I do feel your pain.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Quote Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
    My recommendation would be to not make comments like that out of frustration, but to just address the issue.
    Yep. Goldin does an awesome job with addressing issues, likely the best among auction houses (the close affiliation with GUU also is a great thing) and while I'm sure MLB teams do not like to spend time and resources cleaning the seats in the upper deck after every game, I don't see tweets about it, the seats just get cleaned as do the luxury boxes.

You misunderstood my point.
    Every item is important
    Every item defines our reputation and customer service.
    My point is, ". My easiest path is to yank the item immediately "
    That is the easiest path, and what I normally do.
    In this case, because of the source, and because it's a mears 10 and because of the verbiage in the mears LOA I do not the know that my right course of action is to knee jerk remove the item.
    Please do not misinterpret my comments to mean I do. Not care about the item because it's not $100000. Just the opposite I made that comment to point out that the easiest course of action for me would have been to simply pill it but with three weeks left in the auction and the information I have from mears and consignor I do not think it it fair to hi to simply pull it without having every thing checked all over again.
    Understand the difference?
    In this auction we received emails about 3 similar items, a college jersey, a pujols jerseys and a ichiro jersey and all 3 items were pulled. Those items did not have the back up that the Gwynn has, so please do not take offense when I require extra time to ensure the proper decision is made.

Every item is important
    In this case, because of the source, and because it's a mears 10 and because of the verbiage in the mears LOA I do not the know that my right course of action is to knee jerk remove the item.
    Please do not misinterpret my comments to mean I do. Not care about the item because it's not $100000. Just the opposite I made that comment to point out that the easiest course of action for me would have been to simply pill it but with three weeks left in the auction and the information I have from mears and consignor I do not think it it fair to hi to simply pull it without having every thing checked all over again.
    In this auction we received emails about 3 similar items, a college jersey, a pujols jerseys and a ichiro jersey and all 3 items were pulled. Those items did not have the back up that the Gwynn has, so please do not take offense when I require extra time to ensure the proper decision is made.
    Not any issue with your point, but your words "DO you think I need this aggravation? I'm running a multi million $ auction, and this is a tiny item." Here, let me help you..."Tony, you're correct in that I shouldn't have shown my frustration and should have chosen my words a litter better." There, how's that? Thanks!
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Tony
    Bad word choice and no edit feature here to fix

Every item is important

Hello Ken-

You note "In this auction we received emails about 3 similar items, a college jersey, a pujols jerseys and a ichiro jersey and all 3 items were pulled".

Your statement is inaccurate.

I was the original owner of the 2015 road grey Marlins Ichiro in question, lot #696 in your current auction. I've reached out to you several times since your current auction began and have provided you with both information and photographic evidence that confirms this jersey is not in the same condition as when I sold it. As noted to you, i sold this on Ebay noting in my listing that it had very light use. When comparing the photos in your auction to those in my ebay auction, there is now significant wear on the back numbers and added wear/use throughout including the tagging.

The current consignor of this Ichiro jersey to your auction (Ken Bonamo) also purchased a 2015 road grey Marlins Stanton through Ebay that was sold as "issued/non-worn" and then consigned this to your previous auction. When the Stanton was described in your auction, it was noted that it had significant wear and still had "cologne" on it from Stanton's wearing!!

Both the Ichiro and Stanton Marlins were doctored after leaving my possession and both offered through your auction house for resale to unsuspecting bidders. Although you removed the Stanton after being notified (which was then consigned to Grey Flannel by Ken Bonamo and removed after they were notified of the issues above), you continue to offer the Ichiro. Based on the information I've provided and the history of the consignor, I'm confused why you are allowing this jersey to remain active? What more needs to be provided in order for this doctored shirt to be removed as well?

Regards,
    Esteban Bejarano

UPDATE: The lot is actually 627 (not 696, as 696 is the inventory # on the tagging).

The individual who purchased this and the Stanton is actually Kyle Bonamo, not Ken.

Sorry for the error.

Esteban

UPDATE:

The Ichiro road in question has now been removed from the current Goldin auction.

Esteban