Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Cover Up MLB Holo #?

I have noticed that several teams cover up the hologram numbers on game-used items on the MLB auction site. Is this to prevent people from re-creating fake holograms with those numbers, or some other reason? Is this something that collectors should practice when sharing pictures of their collection online?

Re: Cover Up MLB Holo #?

Yes it's so people can't recreate the hologram. I don't have any major items people would want to recreate but I can see some collectors who do that may want to cover it up.

Anyone have an example of a fake MLB authentication sticker? I'd imagine this has got to be hard to do

I would think so as well but I suppose maybe it's more of a stop the problem before it happens type of thing!

Quote Originally Posted by mrjohnmalton View Post
    I have noticed that several teams cover up the hologram numbers on game-used items on the MLB auction site. Is this to prevent people from re-creating fake holograms with those numbers, or some other reason? Is this something that collectors should practice when sharing pictures of their collection online?
    Actually, I heard this is to prevent "snooping" of the authenticated items database. If you have a specific holo number, you can keep looking through the other items tagged from that session. Some teams seem protective of this, so don't care.

+1

I've heard about people snooping around the numbers and finding items that aren't available/for sale and harassing staff trying to acquire the items.

Quote Originally Posted by emann View Post
    Actually, I heard this is to prevent "snooping" of the authenticated items database. If you have a specific holo number, you can keep looking through the other items tagged from that session. Some teams seem protective of this, so don't care.
    - CINCINNATI REDS/JOEY VOTTO BATS
    Email: rdeversole@gmail.com Twitter: @dugoutrelics

I've heard it is to prevent people from listing the item on ebay and trying to sell if before the MLB auction ends and they have it in hand.
    Always interested in Lance Parrish game used items. Looking for any Tigers game used jersey, game used glove, road Mariners jersey, and 94 Pirates home jersey. Contact me at john.swainer at gmail dot com