Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your Personal Rules/Requirements For Items In Your Collection

I was having a conversation with a friend, and fellow collector earlier today about what we may or may not like when it comes to game used items in our collections. He isn't anywhere near as picky as I am, but we both have our "things". I am curious to see what kind of rules/requirements you all have for items in your own collections.

I am a game used "purest" as my friend says. I will not purchase any game used items that have been signed, nor will I have them signed, as that is not the way the item was when it was being used. For some reason or another I prefer that my game used bats are cracked, but not completely broken in half. I do, however, have a few hammered bats that are not cracked. The more and more I collect, the more I stray away from any items that aren't authenticated by MLB. I will definitely make an exception here and there for items that I really really want, and or items acquired from highly reputable sellers.

Re: Your Personal Rules/Requirements For Items In Your Collection

Purist, not "purest". Apple strikes again.

It doesn't matter to me re: MLB or 3rd party authentication . I think once you've been collecting and studying for enough years, you can get a good feel for traits, etc. If you collect a certain player, you can definitely become an educated collector if you handle enough of their equipment and put some time into really understanding and studying traits . . . Another reason is you can't get pre-90s player items with MLB authentication—by not collecting anything not MLB auth'd, you're cutting out a significant number of amazing items.

The MLB auth means less to me than a photomatch.

Speaking of photomatch, I prefer for modern jerseys to be photomatched with good use. Same for bats + hammered. Cracked doesn't matter to me, but I prefer the crack not be glued down unless it is flush (this is a big one for me; I will usually return bats that I buy which don't correctly describe this).

Prefer items not signed but doesn't matter . . . But I hate the "game used" of "GU" inscriptions, unless it is signed/dated to some significant event (like a HR bat).

Quote Originally Posted by emann View Post
    by not collecting anything not MLB auth'd, you're cutting out a significant number of amazing items.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjohnmalton View Post
    I will definitely make an exception here and there for items that I really really want, and or items acquired from highly reputable sellers.

I do have some older Indians items that obviously weren't authenticated. They all came from former employees, or highly reputable local collectors. I definitely don't prevent myself from acquiring items that I want, just because they aren't MLB authenticated. I definitely agree that a solid photomatch trumps all, and several of my MLB authenticated pieces were easier to photomatch because of the date and whatnot being recorded. Even if I liked the idea of having game used items signed, I still wouldn't do it because of the risk of a bad signature that could take away from the appeal of the piece.

Hah, read your post too quick! Good—too many good pieces out there from older players.

Re signatures; I've gotten a few autos in person on printed Getty images of the item. To me, that is the place to add an inscription (like a date or "hit #XXX") and display it with the item. It serves the purpose of being a display piece, allowing you to meet the player, etc . . . and it doesn't affect the actual item.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjohnmalton View Post
    Even if I liked the idea of having game used items signed, I still wouldn't do it because of the risk of a bad signature that could take away from the appeal of the piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by emann View Post
    I've gotten a few autos in person on printed Getty images of the item. To me, that is the place to add an inscription (like a date or "hit #XXX") and display it with the item. It serves the purpose of being a display piece, allowing you to meet the player, etc . . . and it doesn't affect the actual item.
    I recently acquired a dream item that I was debating whether or not to get signed but after thinking about it, I would be too upset if the signature turned out poorly. I typically also do not like signed pieces but I only considered it because this jersey is so sentimentally significant to me that I can't see myself ever parting with it. I like the idea of having the player sign a photomatched photo instead. And I agree that it would be a nice piece to display with the jersey.

Banned

Smile Re: Your Personal Rules/Requirements For Items In Your Collection

I couldn't care less about third party authentication for my stuff...I do it myself. I prefer unsigned jerseys, but caps and bats are OK either way. Most of what I have kept was given to me, but I'll buy items of guys I've gotten to know to at least some degree.

Players I collect include guys in the "gotten to know" category, Cubs and White Sox items depending on personal interest, and politically incorrect player/team items. My goal is a Curt Schilling GU jersey, but I'll have to wait until my wife's accident settlement comes in to be able to afford that. I have a Chief Wahoo logo Indians BP and the only retail item in my collection, a Hardwood Classics Baltimore Bullets warmup top. Bats and caps fall under the same criteria.

Dave Miedema

I try to stay away from autographed jerseys only so I don't have to deal with fading signatures down the line. It's not a deal-breaker for me, though. Since I collect game used items specifically (no team-issued, etc.), I do photo-match everything I collect. Authentications and certifications are nice, but I don't rely on them. A good photo can prove or disprove what's on that piece of paper any day.
    I'm always looking for game-used Tulane Green Wave football jerseys. Feel free to get in touch! #RollWave
    Twitter | Game Used Universe | E-Mail

I don't purchase signed game jerseys either...with rare exception. For me it kinda takes away from the visual appeal. I prefer my stuff to be in the exact condition that it was in when it was worn/used.

My collection isn't very big but I've gotten a lot more picky about what I buy as time has gone on.

I've been collecting game used items for nearly 40 years. My habits have pretty much stayed on track over all that time...

Bats - I do not collect cracked bats. On occasion I will buy one if it happens to be a Kingman model I do not have.

Unlike most people here; I prefer my items to be signed by the athlete. I look at it as retiring the item from the field to my collection. I seldom sell anything anyway and its my personal preference.
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com