Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

double flap baseball helmets question

Hi. I recently purchased a 1983 Portland Beavers game used helmet on Ebay. It was sold as a Len Matuszek game used helmet. It is a single flap helmet made for a left handed batter. That part all checks out, but I had a very knowledgeable friend in the hobby tell me that 1983 was the first year that MLB mandated that the minor leagues use only double flap helmets and that the one I just got doesn't seem to be authentic. He suggested that I pose this question to the GUU world to get more feedback.
    I have a few pictures that are posted on "May pickups" but don't have a picture of the single flap.
    If you have any knowledge that you can share with me , I would appreciate it.
    Thanks, David

I am always looking for game used Portland Beavers items , Portland Mavericks items and occasionally, Jay Buhner items.

foulball19@msn.com

Re: double flap baseball helmets question

If a player played in the MLB prior to 1983 ( the year double flaps in the minors and single flaps in MLB were mandated) they were able to continue using the flapless helmets.

Matuszek played with the Phils in 81 and 82 so he would have been exempt from the flap helmets and perhaps chose to use the single flaps in the minors.

MLBers who played in the minors were allowed to follow MLB rules which would have allowed him to use a single flap helmet.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Here's a photo of David Wright when he was rehabbing in the minors wearing his single flap Mets helmet.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Thank you. That great information. I appreciate your help. David