Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: What do your spouses think of your game used collecting?

My wife does not really have an issue with it. It was def made clear when we were house searching that the house would need to include a Buffalo Bills room no questions asked. Being a teacher I work a lot of side jobs in the summer which helps fund my collection but I "always" make sure to throw the wife some cash to go shopping lol. I am very lucky, one of her favorite things to do is travel to Buffalo to see Bills games!

Interesting thread - and interesting to read the different posts and to learn how lucky I am! My wife doesn't have a problem with it at all and supports my hobby of collecting helmets. I counted this morning and I have multiple helmets displayed in some form or another in six (6) rooms of the house along with two large display cabinets in the upstairs hallway. Additionally the garage has racking around the perimeter that are full of helmets - modern on-field style sold to high schools and youth leagues. Two years ago we moved to a larger house - after 19 years - just for me to have more room to display. Her one requirement - which I try to stick to but is difficult is that they need to be in cabinets and not out in the open - so she won't have to dust them! She tells friends and family that do not "understand" - that I could have worse hobbies such as sitting in a bar drinking, gambling, or other things guys do! I have convinced her over the years that it is an investment - that it is not "throwing money away". If I am torn between selling/trading a helmet, I talk to her about it - and normally, she talks me out of it. Couldn't ask for a better attitude towards my hobby.

one of the most common considerations i hear from people when i negotiate sales is that their wife will be mad about the purchase.

also, a number of times i was told i have to ship to peoples offices instead of their homes so their wives dont find out about the purchase - pretty funny.

I've been blessed I supposed with a significant other who is supportive and trusts in me and the decisions I've made and continue to make whether it's investments, career choices or hobbies.... however, I do believe relationships are a productive of what we expect and allow to take place early on.

Your hobby is not the issue in my opinion, it will just transfer over into other areas of your life if you never bought another game used item again. Her problem probably isn't the hobby, it's probably the perception that you give it more attention than she's getting and there's jealousy involved and hurt and resentful feelings revealed in how she describes something she knows you care about.

Include her, share with her why you enjoy it. Change her perception, be a leader with firm decision making and make her feel as if she has a strong leader she can support and trust in. Also, support her in her interests and set aside time to listen and know what she likes.

Mine refers to it as her retirement fund so I take that positively.

Bill

Banned

Question Re: What do your spouses think of your game used collecting?

Mine is inconsistent. One one hand, she has gone out of her way, at times, to make displays for my GU caps and bats. On the other hand, in 30 years of marriage, she has NEVER bought me a game used gift for a birthday or Christmas present, and, when a bill needs to be paid, pressures me to sell a game used item to do it, although she never offers to sell any of her collectibles. Haven't figured her out yet.

Dave Miedema

Guys

Im glad we have forums like this to vent and discuss personal issues like this. to the fellow who started the thread, I have been in your shoes. Funny thing about it is that she was actually the very first person to buy me a game used jersey at a marlins game, when we met in 2006. I love her very much for introducing me to the hobby. I kinda jokingly use that during light hearted arguing when I buy a new jersey, " well you started it honey" lol. Anyhow like many others on this thread Ive showed her the value in buying and flipping jerseys...... paying off our credit card and throwing more money in savings went along way with the last jersey I sold. When I showed her how little I paid for it on ebay 7 years ago, she was hooked!!!
    Ebay seller: mancaveauctions

Collecting Marlins Game Used jerseys, Jeff Conine,
    250 HR / 250 SB Club Members.

This is an interesting topic. I started collecting game used helmets ACC initially as a centerpiece for our tailgating table at NC State games. A guy nearby had on old State lid and the wear/tear turned into for me who wore it...did he turn pro, etc. Then I had a chance to meet Roman Gabriel and his personal story stories playing at State and the pros got me more interested. Ever notice on ESPN's game day they display as the centerpiece the helmets of the game that day?

So my tailgate table has a State helmet vs whoever we are playing! Gets lots of attention and fun to discuss the player who wore it, etc.

Well two NC State lids turned into trying to collect the rest of the remaining ACC schools, then we went to the SEC, then the NFL. For many years these were in my office at work then we sold the company...the wife saw how many the collection had grown too she said "you can have this space...for shelves and we'll get a clothes rack so you can have the jerseys on hangars and see them..." She has come along way guys....I've 70 or helmets now and too many jerseys...I started matching the helmets in games with the players jersey!

We do have one rule - "she said buy one must sell one" I'll admit I've cheated on this for I've run out of shelf space and new ones are on the floor! Boy, did that prompt some interesting and challenging husband-wife dialogue- I made it through but I've really slowed down unless a NC State player or a helmet like a recent Darnell Dinkins Ravens helmet (didn't have one) fills a hole in the collection.

Tom

Go State! 1981 alumni

Wife doesnt care what I buy BUT does care how its displayed. Set up my 1934 bat display with full bat rack. I was told it looked terrible and she had me redo it to her liking with it mounted to the wall, a small price to pay,
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by seanbaseball View Post
    Wife doesnt care what I buy BUT does care how its displayed. Set up my 1934 bat display with full bat rack. I was told it looked terrible and she had me redo it to her liking with it mounted to the wall, a small price to pay,

Good taste by the wife on the display! Looks good Sean