What do your spouses think of your game used collecting?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sox83cubs84
    Banned
    • Apr 2009

Re: What do your spouses think of your game used collecting?

Mine is inconsistent. One one hand, she has gone out of her way, at times, to make displays for my GU caps and bats. On the other hand, in 30 years of marriage, she has NEVER bought me a game used gift for a birthday or Christmas present, and, when a bill needs to be paid, pressures me to sell a game used item to do it, although she never offers to sell any of her collectibles. Haven't figured her out yet.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• mook03005
      • Apr 2008

Guys

Im glad we have forums like this to vent and discuss personal issues like this. to the fellow who started the thread, I have been in your shoes. Funny thing about it is that she was actually the very first person to buy me a game used jersey at a marlins game, when we met in 2006. I love her very much for introducing me to the hobby. I kinda jokingly use that during light hearted arguing when I buy a new jersey, " well you started it honey" lol. Anyhow like many others on this thread Ive showed her the value in buying and flipping jerseys...... paying off our credit card and throwing more money in savings went along way with the last jersey I sold. When I showed her how little I paid for it on ebay 7 years ago, she was hooked!!!
      Ebay seller: mancaveauctions

Collecting Marlins Game Used jerseys, Jeff Conine,
      250 HR / 250 SB Club Members.

Comment

• tom1315
        • Mar 2008

This is an interesting topic. I started collecting game used helmets ACC initially as a centerpiece for our tailgating table at NC State games. A guy nearby had on old State lid and the wear/tear turned into for me who wore it...did he turn pro, etc. Then I had a chance to meet Roman Gabriel and his personal story stories playing at State and the pros got me more interested. Ever notice on ESPN's game day they display as the centerpiece the helmets of the game that day?

So my tailgate table has a State helmet vs whoever we are playing! Gets lots of attention and fun to discuss the player who wore it, etc.

Well two NC State lids turned into trying to collect the rest of the remaining ACC schools, then we went to the SEC, then the NFL. For many years these were in my office at work then we sold the company...the wife saw how many the collection had grown too she said "you can have this space...for shelves and we'll get a clothes rack so you can have the jerseys on hangars and see them..." She has come along way guys....I've 70 or helmets now and too many jerseys...I started matching the helmets in games with the players jersey!

We do have one rule - "she said buy one must sell one" I'll admit I've cheated on this for I've run out of shelf space and new ones are on the floor! Boy, did that prompt some interesting and challenging husband-wife dialogue- I made it through but I've really slowed down unless a NC State player or a helmet like a recent Darnell Dinkins Ravens helmet (didn't have one) fills a hole in the collection.

Tom

Go State! 1981 alumni

Comment

• seanbaseball
          • Aug 2014

Wife doesnt care what I buy BUT does care how its displayed. Set up my 1934 bat display with full bat rack. I was told it looked terrible and she had me redo it to her liking with it mounted to the wall, a small price to pay,
          Attached Files

Comment

• STLHAMMER32
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by seanbaseball
            Wife doesnt care what I buy BUT does care how its displayed. Set up my 1934 bat display with full bat rack. I was told it looked terrible and she had me redo it to her liking with it mounted to the wall, a small price to pay,

Good taste by the wife on the display! Looks good Sean

Comment

• seanbaseball
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by STLHAMMER32
              Good taste by the wife on the display! Looks good Sean
              Thanks!

Comment

• GoCrazyFolks76
                • Mar 2015

The only issue my wife has with my collection is I mainly collect St. Louis Cardinals stuff, and she's a Cubs fan (it's a mixed marriage).

Other than that, there are no issues.

We keep separate checking accounts to pay our respective credit card bills. I don't ask how much she spends on her brand new clothes and she doesn't ask how much I spend on my used clothes and broken bats.

Comment

• coxfan
                  • Feb 2009

My wonderful wife and I recently had our 47th anniversary. We learned early in our marriage to give each other space and time for our respective hobbies.

I'll add that I object, in general, to calling a hobby "childish." Kids do almost everything adults do. Chess is a great children's game from age 8 up. (Just try that out on your kids if you don't know that! The US Chess Federation recently had a kid's tournament with over 5700 players. All four of my grandsons, ages 6-8 love playing chess- at their level of course.) Does that make adult chess a "child's" activity? Little girls play dress-up. Does that make adult fashion-shopping a "child's" activity?

The collecting of game-used items is akin to any kind of collecting (stamps, coins, old magazines, old recipe books, ad infinitum). But popular prejudice against game-used collecting as a "childish" activity contributes to a culture in which fraud in game-used is not taken as seriously by society as fraud in other areas, such as art.

Comment

• cfern023
                    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by mook03005
                    Guys

Im glad we have forums like this to vent and discuss personal issues like this. to the fellow who started the thread, I have been in your shoes. Funny thing about it is that she was actually the very first person to buy me a game used jersey at a marlins game, when we met in 2006. I love her very much for introducing me to the hobby. I kinda jokingly use that during light hearted arguing when I buy a new jersey, " well you started it honey" lol. Anyhow like many others on this thread Ive showed her the value in buying and flipping jerseys...... paying off our credit card and throwing more money in savings went along way with the last jersey I sold. When I showed her how little I paid for it on ebay 7 years ago, she was hooked!!!
                    Yoooo- its tubby/ chris / piazza collector - text me when you can I have a few numbers for you but idk Which is the correct one.

Comment

• mruggiero20
                      • Feb 2015

put it this way... i'm single lol

Comment

Working...