Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Birdbats
    • Nov 2005

Re: July 2017 Pickups

Interesting pickup today. I bought this Red Schoendienst bat in the most recent Grey Flannel auction. It was advertised as a 33.5" early '50s index bat -- but that's an odd size for an index bat, and it's a model (S166) Red didn't use much (it would be odd for it to be his index model). So, I gambled. When I got it today, the first thing I did was measure it. Damn thing was 34", a typical index size. Then I looked closer: It had a 1955-60 version of "Genuine." So, I checked Red's PBOR and saw he had one order of 34" S166 bats on 2/8/61. Considering H&B probably didn't change the branding irons on New Year's Day, and this is the only 34" S166 on Red's very long PBOR, this bat almost surely is a '61 gamer with '50-'60 labeling.

Jeff Scott
    birdbats@charter.net
    http://www.birdbats.com

Comment

• GoCrazyFolks76
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Birdbats
      Interesting pickup today. I bought this Red Schoendienst bat in the most recent Grey Flannel auction. It was advertised as a 33.5" early '50s index bat -- but that's an odd size for an index bat, and it's a model (S166) Red didn't use much (it would be odd for it to be his index model). So, I gambled. When I got it today, the first thing I did was measure it. Damn thing was 34", a typical index size. Then I looked closer: It had a 1955-60 version of "Genuine." So, I checked Red's PBOR and saw he had one order of 34" S166 bats on 2/8/61. Considering H&B probably didn't change the branding irons on New Year's Day, and this is the only 34" S166 on Red's very long PBOR, this bat almost surely is a '61 gamer with '50-'60 labeling.
      Great investigative work Jeff!

And great pick-up!

Comment

• sox83cubs84
        Banned
        • Apr 2009

Great job of hitting the books on that one, Jeff. You earned it!

Regarding bat labels, I was buying bats from the Cubs batboys in 1983. The first Rawlings/Adirondack label bat I was offered (Ron Cey) was sold to me in late June. Your hypothesis sound solid to me.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• admin_old

Originally posted by Birdbats

Nice work Jeff!

Comment

• deburton
            • Oct 2008

2009 justin smoak team USA jersey

picked up a game used team USA0 jersey from 2009 used and signed by Justin Smoak. Great looking jersey!
            David
            foulball19@msn.com
            Attached Files

Comment

• gorilla777
              • Aug 2009

'04 Adrian Beltre - he used these Sam Bats early in that season, when he finished 2nd to some guy up in NorCal, hitting .334 with 48 home runs and 121 RBIs. It also resulted in a fat contract from Seattle, which ended up being a rough run with them. I wished he would've stayed with the Dodgers...
              The bat has a huge number of seam marks all over the left barrel that I tried to capture in photos. It's new to the hobby, came right from the Dodgers back in the day.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Wrigley2010
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by gorilla777
                '04 Adrian Beltre - he used these Sam Bats early in that season, when he finished 2nd to some guy up in NorCal, hitting .334 with 48 home runs and 121 RBIs. It also resulted in a fat contract from Seattle, which ended up being a rough run with them. I wished he would've stayed with the Dodgers...
                The bat has a huge number of seam marks all over the left barrel that I tried to capture in photos. It's new to the hobby, came right from the Dodgers back in the day.
                Ben, that's a great Beltre! It's great to see new items entering the hobby that have some age to them. You must have the best contacts in all of the game used hobby. Been searching for an early Beltre for a while now and outside of the one which showed little if any use on eBay a month or so ago I've been striking out! If you ever want to sell your little black book of game used contacts I'm your man!

Comment

• Longroad23
                  • Mar 2014

From Eric Thames April Home Run Tear. HR Ball 4/15/17 top of 6th at Reds.

Comment

• gorilla777
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Wrigley2010
                    Ben, that's a great Beltre! It's great to see new items entering the hobby that have some age to them. You must have the best contacts in all of the game used hobby. Been searching for an early Beltre for a while now and outside of the one which showed little if any use on eBay a month or so ago I've been striking out! If you ever want to sell your little black book of game used contacts I'm your man!
                    Thanks, Joe.

I think Nate should have a dozen or so Beltre bats he could move, so as to be able to clear a path thru his bat room, right?

Comment

• SEAFAN76
                      • Jan 2015

Comment

• ndevlin
                        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by gorilla777
                        Thanks, Joe.

I think Nate should have a dozen or so Beltre bats he could move, so as to be able to clear a path thru his bat room, right?

Hardly...

Comment

• mrjohnmalton
                          • Mar 2016

Michael Brantley's 200th career double. Brantley doubled off of Joe Musgrove on May 21, 2017 at Minute Maid Park. The Indians would go on to defeat the Astros 8-6.

Comment

• GoCrazyFolks76
                            • Mar 2015

1962 Los Angeles Dodgers Game Used Road Jersey - Thad Tillotson

1 more down for my MLB Flannel collection - 16 To Go!
                            Attached Files

Comment

• seanbaseball
                              • Aug 2014

Picked up a nice 2011 Pujols signature model bat PSA 9.5
                              Attached Files

Comment

• TigersCubs84
                                • Feb 2015

Originally posted by seanbaseball
                                Picked up a nice 2011 Pujols signature model bat PSA 9.5
                                Very nice! Instead of the +1 I'll give it a +5, see what I did there?

Comment

Working...