Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Acceptable jersey size range in 1 season?

as we all know, players often change jersey sizes over time. they sometimes change them within a single season. in my experience, an acceptable (ie: likely) range within a single season is +/- 1 size.
    +/- 2 sizes is unlikely or unacceptable. i have a spreadsheet with over 1600 jerseys of stars, commons, callups, etc and have yet to find a single player who moved up or down 2 sizes in a single season. i believe +/- 2 sizes over two seasons is entirely plausible, but not within one.

i'd like to get other's opinions on this matter.

what do you feel is an acceptable range within a single season?

rudy.

Banned

Re: Acceptable jersey size range in 1 season?

Rudy I agree with you

I own two Daniel Cabrera jerseys from the 2005 season. One is a team issued sz 50 +4" length black alternate with no use evident, and one is a sz 54 home white with significant evident use. Since I know the company that does the Orioles extra work, and recognize their stitching, I know he wore the white jersey. So, there's one two size jump for you. Of course, Daniel and the Orioles didn't know he was 6'9" until last season. Previously, they thought he was 6'7"!

Previously I had two 1987 Carmelo Martinez Padres home jerseys. One size 42 the other 46. The lower size had tremendous use, while the 46 had less. Both were obtained from the Hartel bulk purchase.

This year I picked of two Mark Belhorn 2006 home jerseys, one size 48 the other size 52. Both examples showed decent signs of use.

So it can happen, yet I don't think very often.
    R. C. Walker
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

treborreklaw@hotmail.com

In 1999, I traveled to the Silverdome in Detroit to make a bulk buy of over 800 Detroit Lions game-worn jerseys. While touring the locker room with the equipment staff, I was shown six Barry Sanders jerseys that were available for use in the 1997 season. The jerseys ranged from size 42 to size 46. Even more interesting was that the jerseys varied in the way they were tapered.

My firm did not purchase the Barry Sanders jerseys as the asking price was too high, but to be honest, the larger issue going through my mind was trying to explain to my customers the reason for the wide variation in the sizes and cut. I'm sure that someone would have eventually screamed "fake" - and they would have been 100% wrong!

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange

According to the basketball HOF, the road 86-87 Erving Sixers they had on display was a Sand-Knit size 40.

According to Lou Lampson this Doc jersey from 1986-87 was a size 44. This jersey was sold my BRSZ and has some other issues as well.

GFC sold a 1986-87 Erving that was a size 42.

Every Erving gamer I've seen up for bid (that didn't raise any red flags) was a size 40. Talking Wilson jerseys, from the late 70s thru 85-86. Seeing it was a new manufacturer for that season, I could see a couple different sizes during one season, if the Wilson and Sand-Knit sizing differed. I'm not buying the size 44...literally or figuratively.