Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bo Jackson Game used Bat

Looking for a history discussion on the following bat...I can't find any photos of Bo Using this type of bat (without the gold lettering) in a game....however it is signed...and 'broken' on the backpiece...any info would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Banned

Lightbulb Re: Bo Jackson Game used Bat

Bats aren't my area of expertise, so I can't authenticate it, but I do have 2 thoughts about it:

1) the presence of the LOUISVILLE SLUGGER line below Jackson's name would place it pre-1990. In 1990 the third space was blank, and starting in 1991 the name of the player's team was placed there. Starting then I believe that the company name only showed up there on Minor League issued bats.

2) I don't recall the exact season it started, but sometime during Bo's career was when LS began using gold and silver print on dark bats...before that they didn't. That means it's possible that this bat was made earlier in Bo's career.

Hope this helps, and if any of the real bat gurus on the site can clarify or, if necessary, correct my comments, that's fine.

Dave Miedema

Re: Bo Jackson Game used Bat

Thanks Dave!!! I'm wondering if it's worth getting certified through PSA/DNA then?

My research suggests...that it's a 1986 or earlier bat, thanks Dave! I searched on google 1986 louisville bat and got the BLACK lettering. I searched 1987 louisville bat and got the GOLD lettering...definitely an early bat... I am guessing when he played for the Memphis Chicks???

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by beg345 View Post
    Thanks Dave!!! I'm wondering if it's worth getting certified through PSA/DNA then?
    I would endorse that idea. It could be a Memphis bat, or a rookie KC bat, as he did play with the Royals for part of 1986.

Dave M.

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    I would endorse that idea. It could be a Memphis bat, or a rookie KC bat, as he did play with the Royals for part of 1986.

Dave M.
    It's a R161 bat...does that make it a general one sold at the store? I found one on ebay thats blonde...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Loui...4AAOSwJ4hY-KPN

It's a R161 bat...does that make it a general one sold at the store? I found one on ebay thats blonde...

Although the "BO JACKSON" is spelled and not written...

Update on the bat, I asked in another part of the forum...I guess it's a "half Hornsby finish" dating the bat in the ordering records 1986...memphis chicks or KC Royals rookie year...based on the finish and R161 model. I'm pretty excited.

The blonde bat on ebay says "Flame Tempered" which is associated to a store model bat. The bat you have says "Powerized" which is associated to a professional model bat. Your bat is a professional model bat, and is associated to the 1986 year time frame you would be mentioning since it also has the trademark "R" after the Louisville Slugger name as well.

The piece of wood missing will cut into the value of the bat, but still it is a very nice bat.

Smile

I got the grading back from PSA/DNA! It is AUTHENTIC! from Bo's rookie year 1987 and GAME USED! I guess it's a WALKER finish though so I was thrown off on the ordering records (thinking it was a HORNSBY)...

Name:  New Bitmap Image (2).jpg
Views: 728
Size:  13.4 KB