Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Cal Ripken 83 Alternate Jersey and 86 Road Pants

Hello Forum Readers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cal-Ripken-Jr-Ga...QQcmdZViewItem

Below is a link to a current ebay auction featuring what is reported to be a 1983 Ripken game worn Orange Alternate jersey that is tagged 83 set 1 from the looks of it. It is a Wilson size 46 jersey. The pants also in the auction are Sand Knit and are tagged 86 according to what I can make out from the auction. I have asked the seller for some additional info. such as close-ups of the jersey tagging and internal wash tag. I have also asked for photos of the back of the jersey. I have asked as well why the seller is selling an 83 Orange Alt top with an 86 road grey pair of pants. The photo included in the auction does not really help anything because the pants are home white in the photo and the batting glove in the auction does not match the pair that Ripken is wearing in the photo.

What I am looking for is verification that Wilson was the manufacturer of the Orange alternates in 1983. I am pretty sure that they were. I am also looking to find out if anyone has any info on what size Ripken wore in 1983. I am familiar with the 1985 Sand knit road grey in which Ripken wore a size 44. I believe he wore a size 44 also in his Rookie jersey's in 81-82. I know that these were a different manufacturer assuming that the Wilson Alt Orange is the correct manufacturer so that could explain the size difference.

Additionally, does anyone have any idea how frequently the Orange Alt tops were worn by the Orioles during the 1983 season or in general during that time period. I am trying to locate that info. as well.

The photos are not the best but from what can be seen it does not look like the jersey saw heavy wear which would most likely be consistent with the Alternate jerseys.

I am fairly certain that the tagging on the 1986 road pants is correct in terms of manufacturer and year tagging etc. but if anyone can shed light on that please feel free.

Basically, if this would turn out to be what it is reported to be, then an 83 Ripken would be a very nice find.

Any feedback would be most helpful. I will attempt to get additional photos as I can as well.

Thanks
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Banned

Re: Cal Ripken 83 Alternate Jersey and 86 Road Pants

Brett-
    The pants have been recycled to either other O's minor league teams or spring training. See the name written on the pocket and also the original strip tag appears to have red ink written over it. This was/is common for the O's to do this with their pants. You need to find out if they are thrashed (mends, rips, etc). because they may have seen extensive use from several other players.

Not sure about the jersey-I need to see my files before making any comments.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...ement=9&pos=28

Did the Orioles wear these in 1983?

Clint

I have a 1985 home uniform and the Rawalings jersey size is 44. I can check on the pants if you would like.

Jon

Always looking for 1994 San Francisco 49ers throwback game used jerseys.

I was researching the database and found that at least on the Pittsburgh Pirates section of the database, they failed to include the black long-sleeve alternate the Pirates have worn over the past few seasons. I'm not saying it positively concludes wheather or not the O's wore the orange alternate in '83, I'm just showing that the database might miss something here or there.

Not to get OT but wanted simply to advise collectors that there have been a good number of 1985 Home Ripken "salesman's samples" in the hooby for years (along with Murray) as well as 1991 & 1994 road tops. Collectors need to exercise exterme caution when purchasing these.

According to Bill Henderson's guide, the orange alt. wasn't worn in 83'. Can anyone confirm whether this is correct?

Thanks,
    Dave

Thats not correct...they wore them early in 1983 on occasion & since they always seemed to lose while wearing them, they stopped wearing them as a "superstition" type thing sometime early in the campaign (May or so). I recall having a talk with Rich Dauer late in the 1983 season & asked him what happened to them. Obviously they went on to the win the WS wearing the traditional white & grey the rest of the season. They didn't bring out Orange alternates again as game tops until 1987. The size on that Ripken is all wrong for 1983 & the batting gloves are 100% bogus (pants may be OK).

Very helpful info...Thanks!

Hello Ironmanfan:

thanks for all the help. Based on the sizes that Cal wore I am guessing that you believe that the correct size should be a 44? for that year? If you have any info. that supports that one way or the other please let us know. I personally have never, ever seen the type of gloves or glove that is being sold used by Cal. Despite the blurry picture, nothing I have ever seen leads me to believe that Cal used that glove and since Ironmanfan verified that it sounds like that issue is settled.

It sounds like the Orioles used these for such a short period of time in 83 that they would have very light game use overall.

thanks
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.