Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thread: World Series

World Series

Re: World Series

I like both WS teams, for different reasons. (The old Brooklyn Dodgers had spring training almost in my back yard here in Columbia, SC just over a century ago. Just like most history these days, few locals here have read about that.)

But a lot of folks here think it'd be neat if another team can break its long world series curse this year; I recall when the Houston franchise began in 1962. Of course, many Dodger fans are too young to recall their last time.

Since the Astro's were NL champs in 2005, does this make them the first since at least 1901 (when the AL became major) to win pennants in both leagues? Who besides them and the Brewers have changed leagues in that time?

Banned

Exclamation Re: World Series

Quote Originally Posted by coxfan View Post
    Since the Astro's were NL champs in 2005, does this make them the first since at least 1901 (when the AL became major) to win pennants in both leagues? Who besides them and the Brewers have changed leagues in that time?
    No one else. GO ASTROS!

Dave Miedema

Games two and five are already classics in WS history.

The reason is this: baseball pundits often fail to recognize the psychological aspects of sport: These teams both really want to win as teams, not as individuals. As a result, they keep battling and playing with determination and pride, and as team-focused players, even when down by several runs. (For example, Springer's patience in drawing a walk in the 10th inning of game five, moving McCann into scoring position with two out, when you know he wanted to swing away to try for a heroic hit.)

The very enthusiastic fan support in both these cities, which results from greater parity over the years (as the NFL learned long ago) is also a major factor. Of course, I'm biased, as I'm a retired psychologist.

GO ASTROS!!!! Team was just special this year!

The Astros are predicted to have another great year. I like to compare each year's final standings with pre-season predictions. They're say, 50% accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by coxfan View Post
    I wish that they would return the Astros and Brewers to their rightful leagues.