Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

game used Bats vs game used jerseys

Which do you prefer to collect and why

Re: game used Bats vs game used jerseys

This is really easy--- bats. When there is a jersey for every holiday, and a player has about 30+ jerseys a year made, it takes away the fun of it.

Bats all the way.

Bats for me. Always been fascinated with the different models and makes of lumber. Then there is the aroma of pine tar.....mmmmm!

Jerseys for me. Before the advent of alternate jerseys and multiple sets (pre-1990), there were typically only two sets of home jerseys and two sets of road jerseys each season. Many baseball teams would pass their jerseys down to their minor league teams until they were worn out (sometimes sent to the trash bin), so it further reduces the number of available jerseys. Football teams would often use jerseys in more than one season, and it was common to use old game jerseys in practice until they were no longer of any use. For the most part, there are just not a lot of older jerseys available which adds to the fun of the treasure hunt!

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

***ALWAYS LOOKING FOR WORLD FOOTBALL LEAGUE JERSEYS AND NFL/AFL DURENE JERSEYS***

Pre 2005, jerseys are cool cause only a few sets for entire season and used in minors. Stupid special days, holidays, tribute days created a silly overblown saturated market. Bats are the same in a way, older players didn't save their bats....way fewer in existance than today's stars. Basically i'm saying both but pre 2005

I collect both but prefer jerseys.

While i do have a few jerseys in my collection, the overwhelming majority are bats. I've always loved the connection between a bat and a player in terms of preparation (tar, mota, tape). As well i have always enjoyed looking at each ball or seam mark on a bat and wonder if it was a foul ball, single, pop up, or homer. The unique use on a bat makes it different than any other and to me at least jerseys are too "generic" and don't show as much character as a bat always will. Plus you wont look as crazy taking a few cuts with a bat as you would trying on a jersey a player has used.

I collect bats and have been building a nice collection for years. Similar to the sentiment others have already expressed, a bat is one of the most personal (and unique) items on a baseball field. No two bats are going to be prepared in necessarily the same way and further, if you can find a bat that was used to specifically alter the outcome of a game or season, how cool is that?
    Good question and I look forward to hearing from others.
    JDF

Banned

Cool Re: game used Bats vs game used jerseys

I collect both, but prefer jerseys, as they're the game used species I've studied and immersed myself in for almost 40 years. In terms of personal collection interests, while jerseys are also my favorite there, bats move up to an almost similar status because of the number of bats I've gotten from MLB players, either as gifts or in swaps for memorabilia they have interest in. I've gotten 40+ bats over the years from MLB players and coaches, but only 4 jerseys, 3 of which were BPs.

Dave Miedema

Five years ago I'd say jerseys. Now, with the mass production and special event jerseys, finding a nice bat has often become tougher than a jersey.

It's hard to beat the majority-season used jerseys thought and I believe those will hold their value.
    Collecting Cardinals jerseys and bats, with a focus on Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday, and Adam Wainwright.

Tyler
    flotaboys@hotmail.com